Technical cinquecento SX overheating problem

Currently reading:
Technical cinquecento SX overheating problem

johnster

Hi Guys,

I have inherited a cinquecento SX and am having overheating issues with it.

I am intending to do the work myself and just wondered if anyone could help me diagnose the problem / let me know if it is an easy job to complete.

ok - The car starts first time, drives fine and revs freely with no noticable power loss. Not bad for 85k miles.

After driving for around ten minutes though, there is white smoke that appears from under the bonnet and a strong smell of coolant.

I have checked the coolant level and it is on MAX.

I have taken the oil cap off and noticed a small amount of white sludgy stuff in the cap its self.

Looking down at the engine, there seems to be a small oil leak around the top of the engine. (Near the spark plugs)

I have noticed that the heater in the car will not blow out hot air, only warm.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a blown head gasket leaking coolant into the oil to me, although i'm no expert!

I'm thinking about buying a Haynes manual and a gasket set and sorting this out myself. Anyone have any experience of doing this? Is it a hard job? I've never taken appart a car engine, although i've rebuilt the odd Honda CG125 motorbike engine before.

Any tips / advice / help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• Oil Cap.jpg
    Oil Cap.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Oil Leak.jpg
    Oil Leak.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 47
in my last cinq i had the exact same problem .... where i need to fill my water up every trip ... And is the head gasket the problem i had.

Then i brough some stuff head gasket filling stuff for a temp fix, and it did work. stop the over heating issues . And changing the thermostat also helped

Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys.

Looking like its the head gasket then.

ANyone replaced this, i.e. is it an easy job and will i need special tools to skim etc... I just have the usual spanners and socket set?

Thanks,

John

Im relaxed :)

Mayo in the cap, Yes

Mayo on the dipstick, No

Not bled the system yet, Waiting for my trusty Haynes manual to arrive to make sure i do it properley.

You think it could just be airlocked or a possible leak?

Hi,

No, the fan dosent kick in now you come to mention it.

Seems a really strange problem. I've just done about 30 miles in it and not a problem apart from a small amount of steam occasionaly and a smell of coolant. The heater blows out warm sometimes and other times cold so it could just be airlocked i guess...

Still awaiting the manual to arrive so will have a look when it does.

:)Hi Johnster,Did you manage to sort out the problem, I am having exactly the same problem myself, fan does,nt kick in and coolant is evaporating I think.....there is no sign of leak so where is the coolant going??
I did change the fuse and also changed the switch at the bottom of the radiator ( is that the thermostat??).
Anyway the missus wont drive the car now because if she gets stuck in traffic, it boils over and the fan will not come on.....If you do sort it let me now how you got on and how you solved the problem.....regards Toffa58:confused:

:)Hi Johnster,Did you manage to sort out the problem, I am having exactly the same problem myself, fan does,nt kick in and coolant is evaporating I think.....there is no sign of leak so where is the coolant going??
I did change the fuse and also changed the switch at the bottom of the radiator ( is that the thermostat??).
Anyway the missus wont drive the car now because if she gets stuck in traffic, it boils over and the fan will not come on.....If you do sort it let me now how you got on and how you solved the problem.....regards Toffa58:confused:

High chance your rad fans shagged. The brush holders are made of plastic and end up melting.
You can take a resistance reading of the motor but it's a pain to get to the terminals without removing.
Another device that gives strange behaviour in the cooling system is the thermostatic valve (stat) on the side of the cylinder head when it won't open.

Last edited:
:)Hello CC1,i Dont think the fan is knackered, because I took it off and put 12 volts dc through it and it worked fine......I think there is air in the system so what I want to know is how do I bleed it?....regards Toffa58:confused:

ps and thanks for your prompt reply

:)Hello CC1,i Dont think the fan is knackered, because I took it off and put 12 volts dc through it and it worked fine......I think there is air in the system so what I want to know is how do I bleed it?....regards Toffa58:confused:

ps and thanks for your prompt reply

Bleed screw near washer bottle (radiator) and at bulkhead pipe entry (heater).
Fill up tank, warm up engine then open (heater) valve. Rev engine untill all bubbles go. Same with (radiator) valve. Check fluid level and wash off spilled fluid.

Hello cc1,Will do, but not until weekend i'm afraid....will let you know how I get on......thanks again Toffa58(y)

:(Hello Again,Well I took the radiator off on sunday, flushed it out completely no sign of a blockage and still no joy....got myself an Haynes manual ...the only thing I have not done now is check the thermostat, I am going to order one today.....I dont really know what is wrong....How much would a thermostat cost me??....regards Toffa58 :bang:

:mad:Well m8s,To say I have had enough of this bull**** is putting it it mildly,yesterday took the car to a reputable garage only to be told the head gasket had gone.....luckily my friend who is a good mechanic is on case now if anyone can sort it he will...watch this space....regards Toffa58:worship:

Hi ycming, I found out that the thermostat was changed less than a year ago....my m8 reckons now its either the fan is knackered or the water pump is u/s,....he's working on it now.....watch this space.....regards Toffa58:confused:

Back