General Cinquecento Overheating !!

Currently reading:
General Cinquecento Overheating !!

majik

Hi

Im having a few issues with my cinq overheating. Basically after running for 10 mins or so water temp reaches about 90ish and the fan no longer cuts in.
I have checked with a piece of wire from battery to fan and even then the fan will not work.

I have emptied the coolant and re-filled and bleed etc as i thought this was the original problem until i realised that the fan was not working.

Also if the car water temp reaches over 100c the expansion tank overflows through the cap and water pours out.

Do you think this is just a fan problem or something more serious ?

Surely if it was the sensor the fan would have come on when i put 12v direct to it though ?

I was thinking either thermostat or Fan to be honest.

AA had to tow it home and he said it's the head gasket ????
No visable water leaking anywhere, no "mayo" in engine oil etc so i really dont think its that tbh.

The car originally overheated on a run and we have not driven it since then. The water temp light never came on as it didn't quite red line. But the fan does not kick in and the car has reached 120c when tested etc and still the fan has not come on.

No i just put 12+ into fan, i will have to find another piece of wire and try again when weather is nicer lol.

The wiring connectors begin to corrode and break down which cause their own headaches :bang: a block test a show if the head gasket as failed

What are the obvious signs of head gasket failure though ?

i though it was water leaking from engine, Mayo in oil etc.

i have done of these i just have a fan that dont cut it when its meant to and then the expansion tank overflows ubder pressue .

Will test the fan tomoz properly.
It has only over heated once and the Mrs has said that the fluid completey ran out in expansion tank (she thinks) so i think that this is more likely the problem when added to the fan not working.

The fan was working on friday evening then she went out saturday evening got there fine no issues at all, came back (3am ish) and overheated after about 15 miles of 20 mile journey.

I changed fluid today (50 anti freeze 50 water) car took 20 - 25 mins to reach 95-100c and the fan never kicked in.car was idling the whole time.
I stopped as i could see that the coolant fluid had risen to well over the max line. turned engine off and within 2 mins the collant was back at the maximum line (i had only just re-filled it to the max when i flushed system)

So car was running for probably 30 mins in total and no leaks from anywhere (i stopped before it overflowed from expansion tank cap) which is why i feel it's more the fan at fault than anything else ?

This sounds exactly the same as my cinq sporting a few months back.

Rapid overheating after about 15 mins driving...

The thermostat had failed and was seized shut, supposedly unusual?
So the rad didnt heat up much and the fan didnt cut in.

If its not the fan maybe its a common thing?

Mine has had a replacement fan though...

i can confirm that all rubber hosing to the radiator were hot but radiator didn't feel hot when i touched it.

I will check fan tomoz and have ordered a new thermostat as i believe that this is the problem after what i have read on here.

Also i snapped the head off the bleed screw, any ideas if these are easy to get hold of and if so where from ?

My bleed screw snapped too.
Resorted to a self tapper and several washers... Been ok for 3 months. It would probably have to be from a scrap yard but I keep forgetting.
But you might find FIAT can supply the pipe?

Its like Clarkson explained about Alfas...

My Rally Cinq has had the same problem would get to around 90 and over flow the filler tank when we were idling, Then when we was on the move the temp would drop back down.

I also snapped the top bleed screw fixed it with a bolt and washers ,Its done 3 rallys now and no problems.

Ive just Checked the fan direct to 12v and nothing, Just phoned my local fiat dealer and £90 for new fan :cry:.Anyone no were i can get one for sensible money?? or would any other fiat fan fit?

Paul

any ideas what size bolt i need etc as i am at work and have hardware store 10 mins away. how would i go about it just screw in the bolt tightly or what. Could i not replace it bleed screw and unit with a metal one ??? if so i think heater hoses are 15mm, is that correct.

In relation to the fan fiat wanted £85 from me but i got one off ebay for £28 including postage. also one off ebay is fan and radiator. was cheaper than buying just a fan ???

Hi

Iam sure i used a 6mm bolt and covered the thread with plumbers ptf tape,
Its not leaked once, Ive also just bought a fan and rad from e-bay for £40 so all is well now (y),

Right, have put new lid on expansion tank and it no longer overflows, gets to about 95 and sits there for a while before creaping up again.
I know this is still high and radiator and fan will be replaced soon, Fixed the bleed screw problem with a 6mm screw.

I do now have a new problem though !!!!!!

Hazard lights aren't working :mad:. The relay was buzzing so have changed it and indicators are working fine but hazards wont work at all any ideas ???

also the indicator fuse keeps blowing when i take out the hazard switch to test/check it. what fuse should be there ?? Is there a way i can test the Hazard switch ???
Are any of the other 3 relays in the fuse box related to the hazard lights other than the far right one, if so how do i get them out as they wont move ??

check all earth points
disconnect youre battery when removing the switches
check all youre fuses before you go replacing youre fan

did you test the fan using both + and - in the end?
test youre switch using a multimeter
hope this helps

Last edited:
tested fan using + and - but still nothing.

Hazards are now fixed so only problem now is the overheating etc.
I have new fan coming which i will change ove and have a new thermostat too which i will change just weather has been bad and i work in security so shifts etc.

Thermostat is under coil packs i think, anyone give me some confirmation/photo of where it is as i aint been able to have a look for it yet.

Relatively easy job aint it replacing one ? once old one out i will test it in water etc to see if that was also at fault.

How would i test a switch ? put multi meter in both ends to check power ??

Back