Technical cinquecento engine

Currently reading:
Technical cinquecento engine

stephz

hia, iv got a little fiat cinquecento and very sadly my engine has gone pop :( i was just wondering if a 1.1 sporting engine from either a cinquecento or seicento would fit and if it does how hard it would be? thanks steph :D

I am assuming yours is an 899

Yes it would fit, you would need an SPI seicento though because it would be easier to change in this car

But its probably easier to buy a 1.1 cinq or seicento

ok thanks, sorry to be a pain but what is an SPI seicento?

hia, iv got a little fiat cinquecento and very sadly my engine has gone pop :( i was just wondering if a 1.1 sporting engine from either a cinquecento or seicento would fit and if it does how hard it would be? thanks steph :D

Would you care to define 'pop'?

According to my dictionary 'pop' is a type of muzak popular with young people.

Cheers

SPD

Would you care to define 'pop'?

According to my dictionary 'pop' is a type of muzak popular with young people.

Cheers

SPD
No, I thought that was called 'sh!te' :D

If my engine had gone pop, I would consider finding out what went wrong, then repairing it.

Rather than put a 1.1 engine in, I would consider selling the car and buying a sporting. Much less hassle.

and cheaper insurance!! something people seem to forget about.

You can have either a 899 with engine transplant, or a standard car. i know which i'd prefer to insure ;)
Yes you can get an engine for next to nothing but you can get a cinq sporting for next to nothing as well.

As rallycinq says, do you know whats wrong with your engine? not alot thats unfixable on these unless you been driving it without oil or water in it lol. I'd hazzard a guess (without know whats wrong with it) that it will be cheaper in long run to fix, sell and buy sporting

Last edited:
at the mo im a bit strapped 4 cash hence the wondering if the engine would fit without too much hastle, when i say pop i mean pop, water pump has gone, easy fix, head gasket needs doing, easy fix, but here comes the biggy, big ends have gone, its still got oil so dont ask me how, and before anybody asks if im sure its the big ends, im currently in college doing a mechanics course and all of my lectures have had a look and all have said the same thing :( thanks 4 the info and advice tho guys! very grateful :D

Surely the cheapest option might be to find a 899 engine going cheap. Rather than the 1.1? Then when it better suits, sell it and trade up to the 1.1.

at least its only the big ends... my mains went too... brings me to oil pumps... not looked at it, but are they a chuck away item or can they be rebuilt? as i say not looked at it as its burried in my car at work :p

Josh

If you are not confident in refurbing a bottom end, and I'd suggest a regrind crank will be necessary, you can save/borrow for recon short engine or have a local eng shop refurb your engine. It is cheaper if you give them a clean bottom end.

Other wise sell car for parts, and save borrow money for next car...

Noel

if you do repair it... replace the oil pump if its anything like mine; ie more worn than an old lady...

Back