Technical Cinqucento Stalling Problem..

Currently reading:
Technical Cinqucento Stalling Problem..

Nerveno

Hi everyone!

I did a search but couldn't find a thread about this sorry if there is one.

My Cinquecento runs fine, except when it's temperature seems to go over 90c then it will just die, I have to open the bonnet and let it cool down and even when it reaches 50c it still won't start for a good 10 minutes after.

One of my breather hoses coming from my air filter and going into my engine (forgive my lack of technical knowledge, Im new to cars) is broken, at the moment it's jubilee clipped on with ductape as well. My coolant seems to drain rather quickly too. (Filled it up to max on Friday it was nearly empty this morning.)

The weird thing is this didn't start happening until I took it to have it's CV joints changed. Do you think that the person who did the work might of done something but not bothered to fix it?

Are there any checks you could suggest that I could do that doesn't require to much knowledge about cars (or access to any special equipment).

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Nerveno.

First, and before you go any further, resolve the coolant loss issue. Refill with correct coolant and bleed all the air out.

Run the car looking for the fluid loss, you must find this and resolve it. It might even magically resolve your stalling issue.

Cheers

SPD

Loss of coolant may cause the ECU's temp sensor to give an incorrect reading this could result in car stalling and not starting until cool.
As suggested fix that problem first.

Hey again,

Ok don't know what happened with that coolant, but I filled it up again and it's hardly taken any, so I guess I must of forgotton to fill it in a while :S

So I just installed new iginition coils and spark plug leads, but according to my haynes manual it tells me it might be a good idea to replace my breather hose (which has a rip in it and is completely broken off where it goes into the tb i think)

I can't seem to find any on the internet, anyone know where I could get one or do I need to take a trip down the local scrappy :)

Thanks again.

P.S. Might it be worth changing the Fuel Injection System Relay? Just for good measure, as when I try to start it, the start motor goes but nothing else happens.

If you can find a decent one from a scrappy, go for it. Otherwise -- do a search for Fluffy the Impaler.

The fuel pump relay -- oblong white jobbie near the ECU -- does fail from time to time (scrappy), but a rather more likely culprit is the Crank (aka TDC) sensor. These are pretty much in the line of fire of everything -- generally it's a good idea to get a new one.

Keep a watchful eye on that water level!

Ok, found Fluffy the Impaler. Runs an ebay shop?
I saw it earlier but the breather hose on offer didnt match. It is more than likely he/she will have the one im after?

And just to help expand my knowledge. Why should the TDC sensor be causing my car to cut out at high temps?

P.s. My cinq doesnt have a white oblong jobbie near the ECU. Only a box at the top containing two small black oblong and 20 & 5 amp fuses

Thanks for all the help so far, ill get her fixed soon!

Yep.

My guess is that the temperature and the cutting out are not linked (if they are, go straight to the water temperature sensor). If the signal from the TDC doesn't get through, then the ECU doesn't kno the engine is turning, so, no spark and no fuel past the injector.

Somehere -- in the engine bay -- there will be a white box (dunno the location on the 899) -- about the size of 2 regular relays.

Somehere -- in the engine bay -- there will be a white box (dunno the location on the 899) -- about the size of 2 regular relays.

Nope, the 899 doesn't.

Make sure the coolant is to the correct strength, and fully bled.

Get a meter and check the resistance of the coolant temp sender, looking for a gradual reduction in resistance as temperature rises.

Cheers

SPD

Hey again,

Just randomly looking at my Fuel Cut Off Switch to see if it turned on, and on the left hand side of the passengers "dashboard" there was a 12v black relay about the size of 2 small relays hanging out.

It was holding onto the bit by a strap? We just pushed it back in we think, what does it do exactly? And could that be a problem?

Thanks.
P.S. We haven't tried fitting the new TDC Sensor yet as my dad seems to think it might be a fuel problem now.....

I would have a go at the crank sensor as fingers has suggested, if the crank sensor is failing when hot then the induction coil is proberly breaking down, if there was no output from the crank sensor to the ECU then the vehicle would not start as the crank reference point would be lost.

P.S. We haven't tried fitting the new TDC Sensor yet as my dad seems to think it might be a fuel problem now.....

Fuel problems -- as such -- are very rare on these. While changing the fuel filter at some point is a good idea, I can't see it being the cause.

Next time it conks out, check for spark and fuel past the injector (look down the throttle body, remove the air filter box). If no fuel and no spark, it'll be the TDC sensor. If spark and fuel (and engine is up to temperature) swap out the water temperature sensor. If no spark (but fuel) get back to us.

Dad needs to remember that just about all functions on this car are controlled by the ECU, which relies on sensors giving it (the right) information.

A little thoughtful diagnosis will save you money...........

By SX what do you mean? Do you mean is my sub model an SX if not it's a Cinquecento S.

Also how can I physically see if there is a spark and fuel, would you be able to give me instructions? Because my dad doesnt live near me so I'm doing most of this by myself :confused:

Thanks. You have all been a massive help.
P.S. Fitting that TDC Sensor on Wednesday.

For spark, just remove one of the spark plugs, rest in on the cam cover. For fuel (past the injector) take off the air cleaner box and look down the throttle body -- you should see a spark and a squirt of fuel from the injector downwards when (someone else) turns the engine over.

Pic of the relay thingy would be handy.

Nevermind just found out it's for the Central Locking, just went to lock the door and bam, they all locked. So theres an extra I didn't expect. Electric Windows and Central Locking wahey! :D

Nope, just standard black ones.
Is the S not meant to have Central Locking then?

Back