Technical Cinq's Engine Temperature below 70ºC

Currently reading:
Technical Cinq's Engine Temperature below 70ºC

nomatter

Hi guys.

I have run into such a problem with my cinq: the engine temperature always stays below 70ºC, unless I am stuck in a traffic-jam (where the temperature goes up to 90ºC and the ventilator turns on). This leads me thinking that the thermostat (i'm not sure for the term; same as temperature-regulation valve) always conducts the cooling liquid (antifreeze) through the radiator (cooler).

I'm interested what is the normal engine operating temperature that the Cinq with a 0.9L engine should have and how much harm it can bring to the engine if I go running with the low engine temperature (~70ºC)?

I believe the cold engine could be the major cause for high fuel consumption too.

Thank you.

Does it sit at 70 or does it go below that?

Mine also sits about that temperature and many people see that as a good temperature to run especially on the modified Cento's

i understood from Rob and Pete Mck from a previous conversation that the ideal temperature should be 90degrees - mine stays at 90 these days thanks to fixed coolant tank and fan now all working!

Fabster

mine always sits at about 50 unless i high traffic, i see it as a good thing cos a few months ago it was always at 100 :D cinqs seem to love their heating problems :(

I have just changed the thermostat of my Cinq and the temperature from the repair garage to my work was around 70-80ºC.

cinqy_smurf, 50ºC is very low and will damage your engine! See what other expert members will tell you. Don't you have high fuel consumption?

its about 35-40 mpg, which is pretty poor for an 899, although most of my driving is at 70 on mways... at the minute we're still working on the cooling (it has a slow leak, and used to overheat alot) so hopefully itll all be sorted soon...

p.s when it was in a garage (for some body work) a while back they said the sender switch was leaking and that was causing the overheating, im gonna start there looking for the problem now

mine was running like that, on a run them guage would hardly move but iv not replaced the thermostat and its loads better

You guys have got me worried now!New Cinq. Sporting doesnt hit the 50 degrees mark on a long run on an icy morning but on the motorway home on a lot milder evening hits about 75 degrees....Am I ok?Seems to be very weather/temperature sensitive...

ytareh said:
You guys have got me worried now!New Cinq. Sporting doesnt hit the 50 degrees mark on a long run on an icy morning but on the motorway home on a lot milder evening hits about 75 degrees....Am I ok?Seems to be very weather/temperature sensitive...

define long run...

mine takes 8 miles of dual carraige way driving to get to the 1st thick line above 50.

(is that 60 or 70?) :confused:

ytareh said:

Of course it weather/temperature dependent, you put the heaters on when you are cold therefore you are removing heat from the engine as the heaters work by taking air from outside, i.e. very cold in the mornings or after sunset, and blows it through the heater matrix itself a small radiator.

Also putting heaters on as soon as you get into the car means it takes it longer to heat up, best to keep windows clean and grease free and therefore have no need to demist, so leave the heaters off till the temp gauge moves gives engine chance to heat up. I very rearly ever have to demist any of my windows.

Last edited:
I drive two and bit miles to work and the same back everyday and being paranoid about HG's going I run the blowers on cold and on full blast and this raises the temp quicker than no blowers or full warm, I usually get to 60 or 70 before parking up, I do sit in traffice for five mins or so though.

Liam

new niw cinqi sits at around 70-75 when driving around and doesnt go above 90 in traffic as the fan keeps it cool.

my first black cinq sat at around 90 all the time and would go upto about 110 in traffic with the fan on. not good. a new rad sorted it though and it would sit at 80 driving around and 90 in traffic.. poss a bit higher if it was a hot day.

the red cinq over heated upto 130 where i switched the engine off!.. only becuase the fan didnt work:p replaced it and it would do the same as the black cinq.. sit at around 90 driving around and 110 in traffic. not good.

So, as a conclusion let's state:

For a Cinq 899 (or maybe all of them), the engine temperature, after several miles of driving, should be no lower than 70ºC (the second thick line between 50ºC and 90ºC thick lines) and should sit near 70ºC-75ºC on highways and 80ºC-90ºC in high traffic.
The cooler should turn on around 90ºC and the engine temperature should never stay beyond 100ºC (or it will boil the liquid, if especially water, in the cooling system).

Most of the people supported this viewpoint.

Any objections?

Back