Technical Cinq Sporting Over Flowing Fuel Tank?!

Currently reading:
Technical Cinq Sporting Over Flowing Fuel Tank?!

LewisCinquecento91

Hi!
This is my first post, great app on the phone... Hoping someone out there can help me with a little problem with my new car .....:

I've very recently bought a 1998 Cinquecento Sporting and I love it, apart from one problem... When I fill up at the petrol station, the fuel is contained inside the tank, however when I drive away and start the engine, the petrol starts overflowing, coming out of the tank even with the cap on.. It is a slow rising, but quite a lot comes out! I would say a pint full... Also when I fill up an empty tank, the petrol pump keeps clicking as if it thinks the tank is full... It appears to me that the tank thinks it's full for some reason?! The pressure could be all wrong I suppose? In addition the strong smell of fuel comes every now and then when I am driving around, usually more so after high revs.

Someone has suggested that I need to replace my Carbon Canister which I have located right at the front of the engine bay.... I know the part (dayco b460 7742973) but I don't know if this is the problem!!

Any help would be great, I'm finding it so hard to get advice for these little cinqs, but I love the car so hope it will all be worth it in the end, Thanks !!!

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Hotted Up Machini

I've never known the charcoal fuel canister to go wrong, but there's always a first. Many people simply bin them.

I wonder if the seal on the filler cap has gone?

The Haynes is pretty good -- I think you can still buy it new, but there are always plenty on eBay or Amazon.

There's also the Seicento Technical Manual here, in the Downloads section. You engine and chassis are identical to the earlier Seicento Sporting.

I'm not sure if the search function works the mobile application, but I do recall posts on a fix for the filler cap.

Morning,

Yeah the filler cap might be finished, as it is letting the petrol pour out, but is it normal for the petrol to be rising up out of the filler pipe like that? I would say there is a pressure problem but can't pin point what... Unless it's an electrical fault of some kind.

In regards to the seicento, I never knew they were pretty much the same, cheers that is handy to know

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping it's the rubber but when I'm stationary with the engine ticking over, the fuel pours out?! It's like it's being pushed out... Very strange. But yeah I will look at replacing that first! Thanks

Ok great I will try that... Does it not need to be connected then? Will petrol not pour through?

Back