General Cinq or Sei which one to go for?

Currently reading:
General Cinq or Sei which one to go for?

The OP said they have a punto 55.... this is the same engine as the cinq and Sei which meens there all as likely as each other to have a head gasket death. nothing to worry about anyway!

Maybe the same engine but the cinq seems to be more reliable for some reason to me on the HG than the punto

but reallllly if its a car for daily use and little to no modding then get a sei. if you like to tinker then get a cinq.

debateable, i dont see many 1.4 16v cinqs running about. You can mod a sei equally, maybe more so than a cinq now

Last edited:
the age difference between my cinq and sei is 6 months!
but it is a newer design. seicento does feel different to drive. so go and test both if you can, and then choose your fave .

my sei feels so much better to drive, it is an spi model sporting. switch gear is better and just feels newer.

because its newer maybe? lol got to remember they have more "crap" inside so it will be more quite which makes it feel better.

the age difference between my cinq and sei is 6 months!
but it is a newer design. seicento does feel different to drive. so go and test both if you can, and then choose your fave .

The sei is geared slightly differently to cinq IIRC

true but I would not say its more so then a cinq as its the same chassis.

maybe its the same chassis, but engine wise the writing is on the wall for the cinq

Everything recent and current is MPI, something the sei is, which is making engine swaps for seis for the current fiat ranges a lot more viable and easier

The SPI is an old unit now, there is only so far you can take the SPI it will be RIP pretty soon IMO unless you are digging an old engine out of somewhere or converting to MPI, and this is hardly easy.

Lets face it, there hasnt been any interesting conversions cinq wise for ages, whereas we have had the 1.4 seis etc starting to show up more frequently

This is why the sei (MPI one) is slowly taking over from the cinq as the serious modders choice as you have a better starting base,

Last edited:
MORE? I would expect the cinq/sei to be harsher due to higher engine temps and what not.
or maybe its cos the 1.1 is under a lot more stress when lugging around a big fat punto lol

have a look in punto section for HG complaint threads in last 2 weeks compared to this section

maybe its the same chassis, but engine wise the writing is on the wall for the cinq

Everything recent and current is MPI, something the sei is, which is making engine swaps for seis for the current fiat ranges a lot more viable and easier

The SPI is an old unit now, there is only so far you can take the SPI it will be RIP pretty soon IMO unless you are digging an old engine out of somewhere or converting to MPI, and this is hardly easy.

Lets face it, there hasnt been any interesting conversions cinq wise for ages, whereas we have had the 1.4 seis etc starting to show up more frequently

This is why the sei (MPI one) is slowly taking over from the cinq as the serious modders choice as you have a better starting base,

But an MPI conversion entails little more than a turbo conversion, fuelling wise.

I dunno. Only time will tell.

As is, most of the really radical stuff still involves Cinqs, and you don't exactly see shedloads of 1.4 16v Seis...........

After Blue is finished I might put project FIyota into gear. Anyone got a rolled MR2 Tub they want to sell cheap, like? :D

From sporting to sporting the SPI Sei uses the same gearing as the Cinq, the MPI Sei has revised gears.

Personally on a day to day basis I really found the Cinq harder to drive due to the mess which is called the switch gear. Not to mention the Sei handles better than the Cinq & as long as you maintain the Cinqs 3mm ET reduction at the front of the car (so that's 3 to 5mm spacers up front) it's just as edgy and communicative as the Cinq & handles even better that standard.

Engine conversion wise, there's more engines that'll work in the MPI Sei than the SPI cars with a little work. Both the 16vs are not really any more hassle than the P75 conversion if you do you research (though the cam phase sensor is still an issue with the standard ecu).

As for the more radical things are done with the Cinq that's mainly a UK phenomenon because the Cinq is considered the better car (which imo is a falsehood), you look in Germany & Poland they're doing more radical things with the cars in equal measure regardless.

Well what a fab responce and some good info there chaps(y)

I must admit my Punto 55s is pretty unresponsive but for daily commute can not fault the MPG.

I test drove a Met Gray Cinq last night, was impressed and the chap was happy for me to have a good look around it.

I think I supprise some fellas when looking at cars:) no rot in said areas (know to check these areas as common MOT failure points) the ride was nice, I like a car that you drive(y) interior is basic but Its a fun car.

I am off to look at V reg Sei sporting after work today so will let you know
Cheers again

Hey,

Just thought i'd add my 2p's worth..

I've owned a fair few Cinq's in various states of tune and a Sei as well..

And they are quite hard to pick between then..

The Cinqs are definately more "raw" with an interior that does look dated now but hey it was cheap when new let alone 10+years on on the other hand I think the Sei inside is much better bolted together but more focused towards drivers that want looks over function (eg no water temperature gauge)

Driving on excatly the same roads though and IMO opinion the cars feel so different, the Cinq feels more solid and a harder ride whereas the Sei is a bit softer and doesn't inspire the handling a Cinq does..

I guess it comes down to where you drive the most, if it's built up towns/cities then get a Sei you wont find an easier car to park, but if it's country roads i'd get a Cinq..

Either way I don't think I could leave it on standard suspension, wheels and engine for long :eek:

P.s I think you'll be pleasently suprised at how much more modern the Sei your going to drive feels compared to the Cinq

only because i've run out of money!

It's quite simple though, if you are a bloke who likes the company of other blokes then buy a Sei - but if you prefer the fairer sex then the Cinq is the car for you

Driving on excatly the same roads though and IMO opinion the cars feel so different, the Cinq feels more solid and a harder ride whereas the Sei is a bit softer and doesn't inspire the handling a Cinq does..
Interesting.

I tried the MK1 Sei's suspension (including lack of ARB) on the Cinq and vice-versa using the same wheels and really found that the Sei handled better every way round. Maybe it was down to the PGT brakes on the Cinq I duno, nether of those cars could be considered standard.

To be fair ive been thinking more along the lines of sport use. i reckon. a standard cinq and standard sei. the cinq would run circles around a sei. mainly due to been lighter and by the sound of it the sei has very "fluffy" suspention.

as for the 1.4 thing. like said its only done because the MPI. if it was really worth doing people would just go for a custom ECU (which imho should be done with ANY engine swap. I think using a 1.1 ecu on a 1.2 is pushing it. but using a 1.1 ecu on a 1.4 is way worse!) surely the 1.4 is one hefter of a lump which CANT be good for the handleing of the car. in the cinq the last thing you want is more weight up front. the rear is always the first thing to go loose.

I think this has gone totally OT from the orignal question bt anyway..

The 1.4 doesn't actually weigh that much more at all.. and on the handling side a 1.4 Sei handles as well as a 1.1 turbo one.. :)

To be fair ive been thinking more along the lines of sport use. i reckon. a standard cinq and standard sei. the cinq would run circles around a sei. mainly due to been lighter and by the sound of it the sei has very "fluffy" suspention.
Lighter my a**, there was around 19kg extra unaccounted for in a '97 Cinq compared to a '98 Sei when I weighed up a few 'centos.

The stock 'cento spring/damping rates are totally out to lunch, comparing them on stock suspension is like comparing a bruised apple to a rotten pear and saying you like apples.

as for the 1.4 thing. like said its only done because the MPI. if it was really worth doing people would just go for a custom ECU (which imho should be done with ANY engine swap. I think using a 1.1 ecu on a 1.2 is pushing it. but using a 1.1 ecu on a 1.4 is way worse!)
That's why you remap the ECU, the stock MPI ECU is very flexible in that regard.

surely the 1.4 is one hefter of a lump which CANT be good for the handleing of the car. in the cinq the last thing you want is more weight up front. the rear is always the first thing to go loose.
A 1.2 16v is a little lighter than a SuperFIRE 1.2 8v with turbo, I duno how much heaver the 1.4 16v is, but I can't imagine it's that much more and also I think the 16v units hold less fluid in mass.

The rear never really gets lose with decent suspension ime, it becomes nervous as a precursor to fairly terminal understeer if you keep things smooth. Things change if you start to jink the car about however, you'll either hit the front bump stops hard or reach a critical chassis torsion barrier and the rear becomes overly hard leading to oversteer.

I am off to look at V reg Sei sporting after work today so will let you know
Cheers again

Well after viewing this Sei (the seller was a bit of a T***t! to say the least, I don't think he was impressed that I knew what I was looking for and asking some questions he didn't know the answer too) you know what he said when he saw me looking closely at some stone chips on the OSF headlamp....'oh love its a bit of paint that must of been splashed at some point':confused::confused: K**B I hate being called love:mad:

The car was fine but I made my mind up and I am going for a .................

CINQ:p

I like a car that you drive, not many of them around so a cult following (which I like) easy enough for me to do DIY jobs and modding.
The Sei is lovely but I am going for a Cinq other wise I'll never make my mind up:)

I want a yellow cinq but there are none local to me for sale at the mo the other colour I looked at was grey the other night. That was a nice Cinq, well looked after etc.
I like the idea of putting and abarth kit on.

If any one knows of a yellow sporting cinq for sale, local to Leeds let me know.

And Thanks again for all your input, you made me chuckle when you started a debate on the 1.4i MPI:D

glad you made your mind up.

At least you went in knowing what you were looking at and you remained in control of the viewing.

Back