General cinq may have been written off yesterday ;-(

Currently reading:
General cinq may have been written off yesterday ;-(

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._406413350705_514375705_4931467_4396921_n.jpg

not posted for 6 months or so as the little yella fella has been a good boy for a while

sadly i got hit on a roundabout yesterday and having visited a few bodyshops today it looks very likely to be written off ;-(

just looks like the sill needs pushing back out and a new door needs to be found (anyone got one?) to me

don't want to send him off to an early grave

only had one car written off before and that was completely destroyed so no question of still driving it - this one is still running fine - anyone got any experience of having a car written off and keeping it?

Attachments

• 13464_406413350705_514375705_4931467_4396921_n.jpg
    13464_406413350705_514375705_4931467_4396921_n.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 35
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._406413350705_514375705_4931467_4396921_n.jpg

not posted for 6 months or so as the little yella fella has been a good boy for a while

sadly i got hit on a roundabout yesterday and having visited a few bodyshops today it looks very likely to be written off ;-(

just looks like the sill needs pushing back out and a new door needs to be found (anyone got one?) to me

don't want to send him off to an early grave

only had one car written off before and that was completely destroyed so no question of still driving it - this one is still running fine - anyone got any experience of having a car written off and keeping it?
find a donnor cinq in a scrappy ask for the whole cill an door cut your old cill out weld new one in an put door on, im unsure on insurance though tell them, dont tell them, upto you

The term 'written off' means that the repairs would exceed a proprtion of the market value.

The insurance company can only use new parts, not used, so the cost of the parts, the paint and the labour will exceed the gross value of the car.

You can negotiate with your insurance company to keep the car and receive a pay out.

You can then spend the pay out as you want to.

Go round the local smaller bodyshops asking what they will charge to straighten the sill and put on a used door, and to paint them.

Then decide what you want to do.

Cheers

D

Providing the chassis is still straight and true it could be repaired at your own cost using the insurance payout.

But depending on the insurance companies fineprint they may just write it off and take off you (I've heard it done on a 1989 mk3 toyota supra aero, jap import. only damage was left horn mild damage, new rad, and new wishbones)

Thanks

Just looked and there are two yellow doors on ebay now (both will be about £60 inc postage) - but i wouldn't even need to spray them. I don't know of any scrapyards near me at all (south east london)

Waiting on a quote from a guy i have used for a bit of welding before but hopefully i can get it all sorted.

I'm slightly concerned about the writing off situation though - will have to wait and see what Admiral or the woman's insurers say

If i was either yours or her insurance company and you were willing to pay for second hand bits to get it fixed, well i would be saving money therefore paying out less

I cant see there being much problem

Just looked and there are two yellow doors on ebay now (both will be about £60 inc postage) - but i wouldn't even need to spray them. I don't know of any scrapyards near me at all (south east london)

Waiting on a quote from a guy i have used for a bit of welding before but hopefully i can get it all sorted.

I'm slightly concerned about the writing off situation though - will have to wait and see what Admiral or the woman's insurers say

Who's fault was the accident? What happened?

If your fault your insurance company can write it off it they like, if you claim that is.

If 3rd party was at fault there are other options (y)

it was the other drivers fault for sure - she tried to come off of a roundabout from the inside lane (through me) as i was going round it

i'm only insured 3rd party, fire and theft but there's no chance it could be blamed on me

I've just been through this process with another car. As your Cinq's value is fairly low, the insurance company won't even consider repairing it, they will most likely declare it a CAT C write off. CAT A & Bs can't be put back on the road but Cs and Ds can. If they CAT C it (as is most likely the case for you, CAT Ds seem to be reserved for more expensive cars with minor damage) depending on the insurance company you can buy it back from them, I think most allow it.

The amount they want depends on the car and other variables, but budget in the region of 25% of the write off value, so if your car is worth £1000, they will pay you £750 and give you your car back. You can then repair the car and put it back on the road. VOSA will need to carry out a Vehicle Identity Check (only required on CAT C, not D) but they are not checking the quality of repair just that the chassis number matches the log book to prevent cut and shuts. It is really just an excuse to charge you £35. You do need a valid MoT at time of VIC but it doesn't have to be a new one, post crash.

Other thing to note is that some insurance companies won't insure cars that have been written off. I know Sainsburys/eSure for one from bitter experience. There are plenty that will though and no obvious hike in premium. Admiral worked for me.

Don't be put off by the process, it's easy. Your Cinq doesn't deserve to die for this.

Don't be put off by the process, it's easy. Your Cinq doesn't deserve to die for this.

thanks for all that - most useful

and having watched 'love the beast' the other day and seeing how eric bana's totally destroyed car is going to end up back on the road again someday i'd feel terrible if i let mine die because of this.

i'll wait and see what they offer me.

my mum had a car written off a few years back and she didn't have any choice, they just took her car away and scrapped it - don't think she even got to take her stuff out of it!

oh and i finally had an evening spare last night so i went at my car with a hammer and a length of scaffolding

managed to bash the slightly raised sill back down and the bottom of the door up so it opens and closes ok now

the window was still operating but would only go down about an inch (not nice in this hot weather) but now i have had a real good go bending the door back out i can get it all the way down again (although it does get a bit stuck on the way up again)

car is totally useable again but with an ugly bashed up door and a slightly bent in sill - i'm just wondering what the score is MOT wise (it's coming up in August)

Back