Technical Cinq: Immobiliser warning light / irratic revs

Currently reading:
Technical Cinq: Immobiliser warning light / irratic revs

gb86

Hi guys,
I have recently bought a nice '98 cinq abarth that needed work done. I'm no stranger to fixing up cinqs as i maintain 1 each for my 2 bro's and sis. I bought the car as a non runner having been told (by the seller who was told by her mechanic) that the crank shaft bearings had gone. As I had a spare block i thought it would be a relatively easy fix. I had the whole lot out and in bits only to find that everything was fine and it was just a seized alternator :S so i put it back together with a spare alt i had, plus new gaskets and a new clutch etc so i wasn't completely wasting my time! I also gave the whole lot a service, and gave it new brake fluid/pipes/drums/shoes/cylinders and a new exhaust. In other words ive gone to town making this cinqy sweet.

First time i went to start her up nothing happened. It sounded like it wasnt sparking so i grabbed the red key instead of the blue one and she fired up. I left her to get up to temp and everything was running smoothly. Then i went to drive up and down my lane and i started kangarooing along. So i sat her idling again and she seemed fine apart from the immob light was on. I turned off and on again and she ticked over fine again with no warning lights. But as soon as i revved up, the immob warning light came on and the revs went up and down and didnt stay constant, whereas the revs should be stable as i was holding the peddle still. The immob warning light itself is flickery when this is happening.

I have uploaded a vid of whats happening to my webspace but as this is my first post im not allowed to post the url. However, you can probably work this out:

bbestates dot co dot uk slash immob dot mp4

once the warning light comes on, it stays on. And i dont need to rev up quite so much as i do in the vid for the light to come on, sometimes it comes on at lower revs but never idling.

I dont think its a sensor to do with the EMS because i should have the red EMS warning light if thats the case.

I'm a little confused with this one so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Make sure the earths are good (I mean, don't look at them, unscrew/clean/vasaline/re-tighten) or check with a single jump lead from batt -ive to te engine block.

Check the condition, connections, etc. of the immobiliser coil (underneath the dash -- runs to ignition switch or block opposite) looks like the wiring on granny's bedside light.

Hmmmm feeling rather sheepish, was indeed an earth strap! That one at the back of the engine block. Only saw it after I had swapped the ECU, ignition barrel and half of the sensors :S.
Booked in for the 4:30pm MoT slot today.
Cheers for the advice

Back