Technical Cinq Immobiliser/Red Key Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Cinq Immobiliser/Red Key Problem

cinqchick

Hey guys,

My stepdad has replaced my clutch this week and now he's got it all back together we can't get it started. The code light is coming on the dash as if the immobiliser is on but even when using the red key it's still flashing up code and not starting.

We're really not sure what to do, i asked ghostwkd and he said i should post lol

Any ideas? Could have wired something wrong? Should i have some kind of code somewhere that I should enter? Do we need to get in touch with Fiat?

Hope you can help, thanks guys!!

Love
cinqchick (Rebecca)

There is an emergency start up procedure, for which you need the code card that came with the car originally. However there isn't any real reason the code light should come on after clutch replacement. You can disconnect the battery and reconnect it without affecting the key code. The car must have the ECU god and Fiat intended for it, but if only the clutch was peplaced there's no reason for that to be touched.

As a first post of call I'd disconnect the battery and make sure all the wiring is back in place properly. Earth strap on the gearbox, plug on the ECU not accidentally disturbed, the loom over the top of the gearbox not damaged by getting it trapped twixt block and bell housing spring to mind.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post an update/get some advice.

My stepdad decided to get the AA to recover my cinq to fiat blackburn, who decided my ECU was broken (£300 to replace) I said i didn't think it was worth it but my stepdad authorised em to do it.

That was 3 days ago, today after ringing them for the 100th time they come back and say "we can get it started with our equipment plugged in but not when we use your key, it might be a faulty key mechanism which would cost £1000 to replace".

So, as u can guess no-one is happy. Now they are waiting for some guy who was off sick to get back in on monday because he might know of another way to fix it?!?!?

I'm going off my head with the whole thing, we only took it to fiat on the advice that they could order us a new code and then reprogram our keys £15 job... now it's just getting completely out of control.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

They have agreed not to charge us if they can't fix it (I think) but the whole thing has been a complete shambles.

So, come monday, if sicky bloke can't help I guess i'm stuck with a dead cinq with a brand new ecu???

ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!
Cheers,
Rebecca xxx

cinqchick, word of warning, if you get a McKrich chip you might need to get an after market immobiliser fitted to the car to satisfy some insurance companies (as they have the car down as having an immobiliser fitted).

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I have been trying to explain to my stepdad about the McKrich chips but I didn't do a very good job.

Could someone explain to me (and him) what exactly they are, how you fit them, how much they are/how you get hold of one and the insurance implications that you mentioned work?

We're getting the cinq back from fiat on monday, we've had enough, we're going to try to get out of the £300 as they don't know their arse from their elbow obviously.

Just a quick lowdown on the chip/installation would be REALLY handy.

Hope you superguys can help,
cheers!!
Rebecca xxx

I have been trying to explain to my stepdad about the McKrich chips but I didn't do a very good job.

Could someone explain to me (and him) what exactly they are, how you fit them, how much they are/how you get hold of one and the insurance implications that you mentioned work?

cheers!!
Rebecca xxx

Never done it, but I'll do my best.

The ECU on your car (silver box, passenger side, engine compartment) has to come out. Remove the back and -- if you're lucky -- the factory chip won't be soldered in. The McKritch chip just plugs in in place of it. The advantages (for most people) are that it has a better ignition and fueling curve and (for you) that it by passes the immobiliser, so your keyset should work fine.

The insurance implications are that it is a performance mod (maybe 5bhp if they ask) and you no longer have an immobiliser.

But do take a peek at the classifieds here and on clubcento. People do sell "solderless" ECUs and even full McKritched ECUs. The man himself can be PMed here -- he's a member.

allanhelen has just put a fitting guide in the guides section covering fitting the chip.link in my sig or top of the page

have you checked the induction loop around the ignition barrel?
remove the plastic cowling and just make sure the black wire is clipped in place.
just seems if they could remote start it the prob may be there.
but the chip is a cheap fix

Last edited:
If you look in the classifieds Gazzaman2K put an ECU complete with McKritch chip up for sale a few days ago. The advantage of going that route is that you won't have to change keys.

Basically the way the security system works is that the key has a chip in it. There is is an induction loop around the ignition barrel which "reads" the key. A signal then gets sent toto the ECU. The ECU therefore knows the car is being started with a key which belongs to the car. If you want to use the ECU from another car you need the matching key, therefore you need to change the ignition lock. Unless of course you're Fiat in which case everything can be reprogrammed but they charge a fortune.

The McKritch chip is universal,in other words it doesn't look for the security code, so your key simply becomes just that, a key which turns the ignition lock. The downside is that the immobiliser now no longer functions.

The other bodgedaisical way of doing it is to get the ECU and key setup from another car, and simply tape that key to the inductive loop and keep the existing ignition lock. Obviously you still have no immobiliser.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

We're getting the cinq back from fiat on monday, we've had enough, we're going to try to get out of the £300 as they don't know their arse from their elbow obviously.

cheers!!
Rebecca xxx

Back