Technical Cinq binding brakes

Currently reading:
Technical Cinq binding brakes

steveninja

I have a Cinq fitted with grooved disc's and when braking for longer periods (ie down big hill's) the front brakes get very noisy. I think the noise is the pads staying in contact with the disc but don't know why this is happening.

The pads are in good condition and the calipers seem to move freely when cold.

I'm guessing the calipers are starting to seize, is this a common problem and if so can anyone point me in the direction of a solution.

Sorry should have stated in my original post that the noise becomes excessive, not just the normal sound you'd expect from grooved discs.

I can't see any signs of overheating on the disc surface (blue colouration) but the brakes become really sensitive and rub until you have driven without using them for a while, when this occurs.

My best guess at the moment is that the calipers stick when up to normal operating temperaure so are in need of a service.

I've changed the brake fluid as well but it's DOT4 so should be allright temperature wise.

Last edited:
They're EBC disc fitted with EBC greenstuff pads, I've not had any trouble with this combo on a number of other cars.

There's no sign of corrosion, discs look normal with no sign of surface heating.

Both disc's seem to be affected, have checked run out and they're not warped.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a caliper service kit???

Think I'll over hall the calipers if possible as I've renewed all other moving components in the braking system.

Last edited:
Wheel bearings are fine. Have just had the disc's off and the caliper's are not moving as freely as they were last time I checked so may as well sort them out while I'm hunting the problem.

Can you PM me an email address for Fluffy The Impaler?? as I can find his details on Club Cento.

Any other suggestions still appreciated, it wouldn't be the first time I've overlooked something simple.

Back