Cigarettes Could Be Sold In Plain Packets

Currently reading:
Cigarettes Could Be Sold In Plain Packets

Increase the age at which people can buy cigs by a year every year, eventually there'll be no-one left alive able to smoke and problem solved.
Of course, then the rest of us who have some sense will have to make up for the tax shortfall ...

I'm a none smoker, proud to say I've never even tried one, they stink, why would I?
Everyone has the choice, if people choose to smoke, thats their problem. The tax gains are huge so lets keep selling them for now, this country is on its back legs and needs the money. :(

Lets not forget the burden on the NHS from smoking related disease and illness. Not to mention sick days off work due to the same.

I don't know the figure but I can imagine there wouldn't be much difference at least long term.

But as for selling them unbranded, I really don't see how that would help?.... or am I being thick?

Lets not forget the burden on the NHS from smoking related disease and illness. Not to mention sick days off work due to the same.

I don't know the figure but I can imagine there wouldn't be much difference at least long term.

I would think the revenue from cigarettes more than covers it TBH
think of folks who have bought cancer sticks for 30-50 years before anything happens directly from smoking
thats a lotta tax
up here they were(are?) looking to remove cigarettes from display and shops had to keep them out of sight with no advertising at all

My mum is in full time care at 51yrs old due to vascular dementia brought on by heavy smoking since the age of 14. It costs roughly £1000 a week for her care, I'm sure it wouldn't be long until the tax she's paid in PAYE, NI, Duty on cigs is all absorbed.

You're probably right but long term there'd be a massive benefit as people's health improves.

But I agree about removing them from sight completely. Will help people quit on their own accord. When my mum used to try to quit she'd managed a few weeks but every-time she went to the shops she'd see them and the force of habit and the little voice in her head would make her buy them.

Last edited:
Several years ago, the last time I saw any government figures published, the revenue from tobacco tax was £14Bn and the cost to the NHS for smoking related illness was £8Bn.

Also, as we (yes... I choose to smoke) smokers are continually being told by doctors, the government and cigarette companies that we will die younger, we don't claim the government pension for so long (if at all). Despite the fact that less people smoke now, I suspect the government still makes a profit from us.

The smoking, drinking motorist should get a concessionary tax rebate every year. (y)

but taxes would probably go up somewhere else as they would not get tax off these

Ash

Fuel prices
Road tax

Just two areas which would probably get hit :D given that the motorist always gets in the neck off any government :D

If kids want to smoke they will, it doesn't matter what colour the cigarette packet is! If there mate says check out these new cigs in a brown packet, and the kid is an easily lead astray kid, then they're going to do it regardless of what colour the packet is.

I would love to see a complete ban on them, as there is so much crap in cigarettes.

I choose not to smoke, for the good of my health and my wallet, but i don't get a choice when it comes to passive smoking :mad:

Is there a government for dummies book somewhere :D

Cracks me up, the Government are always trying to squeeze more taxes out of us. They legalise two of amongts the worst drugs & rake in a fortune from them - so why not legalise all drugs and stop giving away free needles etc.
The further up the drug supplier chain you go, the more money you see just laying around.
Maybe also we can do away with the NHS and have just private health care - BUPA advertise for starting at just a couple of quid a week - so for half a pack of cigs or a pint of beer you can have some sort of care - and it'll put a stop to the thousands of tourists who flock here just for the freebies.

Back