General Chrome on a 500..polish..?

Currently reading:
General Chrome on a 500..polish..?

Paul Kossoff

just wondering...chrome finish Mirrors..window panes..exhaust..whats polish do you do them with..i have brought a tub of "Meguiars nxt all metal polish"

Well, as everything bar the exhaust trim ( see thread on rusty tailpipe ) is plastic, I would not use anything remotely abrasive. Just a decent gentle polish or wax and nothing specifically designed for actual metal.

A good quality wax like Dodo Juice Supernatural, Swissvax or a cheaper alternative like Collinite 476 are great for both the bodywork & the chrome trim. :)

A good quality wax like Dodo Juice Supernatural, Swissvax or a cheaper alternative like Collinite 476 are great for both the bodywork & the chrome trim. :)

But he wants to clean them, not protect them. :confused:

oh hell...glad i asked this question ..they are plastic arn't they :confused: now i have wasted £8 on that tub of Mequiars nxt metal polish thinking i was gonna protect the mirrors and window seals from rust:bang::bang: Duhhh!! hope i still have the receipt from Halfords...:cry:

oh hell...glad i asked this question ..they are plastic arn't they :confused: now i have wasted £8 on that tub of Mequiars nxt metal polish thinking i was gonna protect the mirrors and window seals from rust:bang::bang: Duhhh!! hope i still have the receipt from Halfords...:cry:

Chrome plated plastic doesn't rust. You can always use it to polish up the backbox

The question asked was 'what polish do you use on them ?'. It's obvious that you'd clean them first !! :rolleyes:

Polishing is a cleaning stage, designed to remove stubborn marks/scratches and swirls. You listed waxes, which are different to polishes.

However, he actually meant waxes in the first place as he wants to protect the chrome, so your recommendations are right, but he is still confused about the difference between a wax and a polish it seems!

Last edited:
Polishing is a cleaning stage, designed to remove stubborn marks/scratches and swirls. You listed waxes, which are different to polishes.

However, he actually meant waxes in the first place as he wants to protect the chrome, so your recommendations are right, but he is still confused about the difference between a wax and a polish it seems!
As are most people I suspect! I didn't know the difference until a few years ago.

As are most people I suspect! I didn't know the difference until a few years ago.

Yep, most people are. It's because of the way some polishes were marketed by the cheapo brands. The amount of 'polishes to make your car sparkle and protect your paint!' you can find in Halfords is laughable.

Back