General Chii lives again..but..

Currently reading:
General Chii lives again..but..

arc

this is where i stand
Finally sourced a suitable screw for a bleed screw (shiny brass one, to gex ;) ) and we took the car out last night to warm her up (shes not been driving since the end of novemeber (!) )

Anyway, the fan now works (yay) but the temperature gauage doesnt (boo). However it began to loose water from the expansion cap. I tightened it up a bit more, and that seemed to stop it. Once we reached home tho, it was steaming from the expansion cap. The fan then kicked in, but it continued steaming. So we quickly reversed her back into the garage and killed the engine.

The coolant was very low, ie i couldnt see any in the expansion tank tho the fan did kick in whilst reversing, so that must mean there was still coolant in the system as the fan switch is a water temp sensor isnt it. Ive not done anything to it since, just left it overnight to cool.

I'm kinda worried, loosing coolant and no obvious signs of a leak suggests head gasket doesnt it. Or is it possible its lost the all the coolant through the expansion cap and its that that is faulty?

I'm curious as to why the expansion tank is connected to the throttle body as well (!)

Cinq Sporting - and yes, its broom yellow!

Check your radiator isn't blocked. Blocked radiators stop the water from circulating properly and means it overheats, it happened to me. Also try changing the thermostat. If they both fail, it looks like it could be the head gasket. You could really do with seeing how fast the temp rises, but your temp gauge is broke...

I feel a 1242 turbo coming on...

The thermostat was replaced recently. I think it could be a small hole in the rad, running it on the drive today i noticed steam coming off the rad.. :(

Cinq Sporting - and yes, its broom yellow!

Rad weld may fix the radiator leak. Connection to throttle body is de-icer.
If coolant is low might be a good time to flush the system as well.

Dave. :)

Marea HLX 2.0 20v
<h6>FIATcentral window sticker, (now obsolete), silver poppy coral, titanium tax disc.
:)Blue Momo Tomahawk Gear Knob :)
Blue gaiters, Blue sidelights, Blue interior lights, Blue lacquer on engine, feeling blue ;)
Ecotek fitted, removed and waiting for warm weather
So much to do, so little time.... and Totally Skint!! :(</h6>

Back