Checking engine oil

Currently reading:
Checking engine oil

luvduvs

SNAP!
I've just done my first 1000km on my Punto and so went to check the engine oil level. Its really my first time properly looking after my car, so please bear with me :) Basically there is a nice coat of oil on the end of the dipstick between the two 'points', but when I checked the compartment that stores the oil, there's no oil in there whatsoever. Is this normal?? :confused:

And the manual states that there's a Max and Min marking on the dipstick but I can't find that anywhere - is this just the two 'points'?

Cool.. another stupid question - when checking the dipstick the only area I should concentrate on is the bit at the end, right? That is, the 'long' bit is irrelevant? Thanks!

yeah pal the only thing ya need to worry about is the inch or inch and a half at the end.

as long as its more towards the max mark then ya should be ok.

make sure ya put the right stuff in as well.

my bravo 1242 takes synthetic 10w40. most cars take 10w40 but some manufacturers recomend synthetic and others do not. If the punto is anything like the bravo it should take 10w40 synthetic.

Refer to the owners manual it will tell you in there

don't pop in too much if you are filling it up with oil.

if in doubt nip to a garage (most reasonable garages won't charge you for checking the oil) and ask them to do it for you. that way you know that they will put the right amount in. the last thing you want to do is over fill it. that can be just as damaging as being underfilled.

Cheers guys for the responses. It just seems a bit weird that there's no oil in that oil compartment (the one where I have to unscrew the cap).. but I suppose if it really was low in oil then the Check Engine/Oil light would light up with some beeping.. correct?

All the oil drains down to the sump when the engine is not running. When you unscrew the filler cap you will see a few odd bits of camshaft which will be bit oily.
When the engine runs a pick up pipe from to the bottom of the sump to the oil pump collects the oil, sends it via the oil filter and from there all around to do its job after which it drains back.
So when you check it get on level ground and give it a minute or so to collect in the sump. Take the dipstick out, wipe it on a clean cloth to remove any splashes from when the car was moving with the engine running, then dip it again and read again. My Fiat has a flat area with cross hatching on it and as long as it's on there you are fine. Do it reguarly and you soon get a feel for how much if any you are using and so if you need to add any. Overfill is as bad as underfill, it can get onto your clutch.
Good question!

Check the oil on a flat level surface when the engine is cold or a little while after you've parked up.

If the oil light comes on you've left it too long. Don't depend on the oil light to tell you the oil is low. Do regular checks, you'll get to know how much oil you car uses, if any, pretty quickly. Some use none other cars use loads and need regular topping up.

Once you've mastered that, will you be attempting anything more adventurous?

Back