Technical "Check transmission" Warning Light - Oark/Neutral safety switch

Currently reading:
Technical "Check transmission" Warning Light - Oark/Neutral safety switch

Darkhoney

Hi Everyone,

So a few weeks ago the "Check transmission" Warning Light appeared on dash. Car drives fine, no other noticeable issues. Get it diagnosed as a 'park/neutral safety switch performance' issue.
Book it into Fiat, they confirm this and fit a new switch.
Get car back and it drives fine for two days. Just drive the car onto a forecourt for a different garage (booked in for MOT and service) and said light/message reappears. They check this and confirm it is the same code. Garage clears this and it passes MOT.
Driving back home, message/light appears once more but again, no other problems.
Could this be a wider electrical issue or merely a fault with the park/neutral safety switch?
If its relevant, a 'check DRL' message is now on with one of the bulbs gone. Could these be related?

Thanks for any advice.

Thnaks for the reply, I suppose the question 'is it safe to drive? ' always springs to mind. I guess, as long as I don't notice anything else untwiards between now and getting it investigated?

Might sound daft, but how is the battery?

Strange things happen with modern cars when the battery starts to fail, even if the voltage is slightly down then you could start to find some odd error messages.

Its a relatively easy and cheap fix

Re battery condition, yes a poorly battery can give all sorts of problems. Although I very seldom use the stop/start it is a useful way of checking the battery. If stop/start works battery is OK, if it doesn't work there is a battery problem.

Stop/start only works with a good condition battery.

The code is defined as:

334 - 500X 1.4 Turbo MultiAir Park Position Sensor "A" - Signal frequency incorrect P0850-00

Suggest causes/remedies

Component: The wiring between the transmission control module and the parking position sensor
Test: Check the wiring continuity between pin 2 of the parking position sensor and pin 20 on connector A of the transmission control module
Action: Restore the correct continuity of the wiring

Component: The parking position sensor
Test: Check that the parking position sensor is working correctly
Action: Replace the parking position sensor

Component: Robotised gearbox control unit
Test: Check that the robotised gearbox control unit is working properly
Action: Replace the robotised gearbox control unit

Back