IMAG0412.jpg

Panda (Classic) Cheaper than a 360 conrod.

Introduction

I have kept this quiet for months, but after 3 trains and one bus.

I picked her up. Only a 3 hour drive back.

A 1995 Selecta with 82k on the clock. :D

IMAG0412.jpg

Shes a bit of a shed, and by bit I mean alot.
I thought it was in better nick than what it is, but it was so cheap that I can't complain... Are we ready?

The heater blows cold constantly, which was fun.
It has some weird aftermarket electric windows, but they don't work, the drivers side has a winder, that fell off.
Cassette player loses the aerial signal.
There's a catastrophic engine/gearbox whine. Maybe a bearing or maybe the box is about to explode who knows?
The sunroof has been removed and siliconed with a sheet of plastic.
No parcel shelf.
Doors have pretty much no rust, but are dented.
Bonnet dented.

The selecta is fast. (y)

Last edited:
Soon there will be no pandas left not owned by folks on fiat forum.
congratulations on your new orange panda. ;)

£900 and shes yours. :D

Nice to see another Selecta on the forum. Rust free doors is a bonus. It doesn't sound to much of a shed tbh.

Are you able to upload a video of this whine?

I will tomorrow, it seems to change with the engine rpm.

Hello, I'm new here so hello everyone. Seems to be a great forum with lots of helpful people! Was that Selecta the one in cambridge? I was looking at it a couple of months ago on gumtree but when I rang the lady up she said she couldn't sell it until she had found a new car?!? I'm guessing it's White? About the gearbox, my selecta whines aswell. I thought it was normal?

I think that's what my one sounds like. I'll check later too. My Selecta is Flossflys old one. It was on here and no takers so I thought I'd stop it getting traded in!

Welcome (y) The Forum is good, but only the classic Panda section is great ;).

Well done for saving the Selecta, can we expect to see a 'members motors' thread soon?

Was that Selecta the one in cambridge? I was looking at it a couple of months ago on gumtree but when I rang the lady up she said she couldn't sell it until she had found a new car?!?

I phoned up about that one too, got the same answer.

Last edited:
Maybe you should have paid a little extra and gone for the conrod :p

I'm sure it's a worthwhile purchase really, I have some spare gearbox bits if you need them. (y)

The conrod is too expensive. :p
Hoping it doesn't need box bits.

You can sell me the roofbars to raise cash - you don't need them!! ;)

They're knackered.

Congratulations!
Selectas are great and that one has even got a sunroof!
With a bit of work, i'm sure it will be worth it.
Need more pics!

It had a sunroof.

Hello, I'm new here so hello everyone. Seems to be a great forum with lots of helpful people! Was that Selecta the one in cambridge? I was looking at it a couple of months ago on gumtree but when I rang the lady up she said she couldn't sell it until she had found a new car?!? I'm guessing it's White? About the gearbox, my selecta whines aswell. I thought it was normal?

It is that one, like i said, i've been trying to get it for months and she finally said yes.

I've just done a 12 hour shift, so havent taken pics/videos. I don't know if i'm goin to keep it. The MOT and tax are up next month. Thats when i'll know what to do.

First thing I need to do is fix the heater, it's constantly blowing cold, hot doesn't work and my temp gauge is always cold. The car has been like this a while she said.

First thing I need to do is fix the heater, it's constantly blowing cold, hot doesn't work and my temp gauge is always cold. The car has been like this a while she said.

How cold do you mean? As you probably know, if the temperature struggles to get past 60, you are looking at a thermostat stuck open. If that is the case there is probably nothing wrong with the heater matrix.
If the matrix is the problem, you could try to flush it with some clean water.
Failing that, you are probably looking at the heater valve.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220956409424?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Expensive, I know, it has been on my watch list for ages and still have not bought it for my selecta. My problem is the opposite, the heating is always on :bang:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi Vman, thanks for the welcome. I'll get some photos of the cars up soon once i learn to sink my phone and computer together!
I emailed Gavin a photo earlier today but not sure yet how to get them on here.

Strange when people put there cars up for sale but when you phone them they can't actually sell them until they've found another!
Takes all sorts i guess? still, at least it's gone to a good home!

I've just replaced a heater tap on a customers clx for the same reason, always hot.

I was intrigued to know why it stops working so I cut the old one open........

What happens is the disc breaks away from the pivot shaft. It may look ok in the pic but when you operate the lever the rectangular part of the shaft just turns and slips under the disc. Sometimes it catches enough to move it a little so you may not get the same symptoms all the time.

Got my tap from Fiat, not much more than the one on eBay.

Last edited:
Back