Changing Rear Brake Pads

Currently reading:
Changing Rear Brake Pads

G

Garry

All,

This is my first posting, so forgive me if my question has been asked and answered previoulsy.

I actually own a 98 Marea TD125 HLX, but I assume quite a few of the bits are common.

I have a shuddering noise when braking for a long time from high speed (not hard braking, just for a long time)and following this quite often the rear discs will squeal, which stops the moment I touch the brakes or handbrake. I have looked at the pads, which are quite worn so I thought I'd try and change them - which seems relativly easy.

However, after taking the caliper off, I tried to push the piston back in - I realised it would be stiff so I tried a G-Clamp to slowly apply even pressure - but the piston does not move. Does anyone know if this is to do with the car having ABS, or somethng to do with the handbrake mechanism or if the caliper is just knackered?

If someone can tell me a neat trick to getting the piston back in it would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks,
Garry

They're not knackered - had a similar problem on my Punto GT which I think has the same rear calipers as yours. The pistons do not just slide, they have a screw action - you will need to find some way of screwing the piston clockwise while at the same time applying pressure - I got my local garage to do mine. The squealing is caused by the handbrake mech siezing and holding the pads on slightly, this just needed regreasing.

Thanks

Hi,

Just like to say thanks - it worked like a dream, and I found just the right combination of tools - a G-Clamp and the spanner for a 4.5" angle grinder (has two small pins that fit into the cross-head of the piston).

Garry