Technical Changing oils does it need flushing?

Currently reading:
Technical Changing oils does it need flushing?

Hi again,
I've read alot of messages online of conflicting information.

Basically I've had my car (1.4 16v mk2b) for almost a year and it came with Mobil super s 10w-40(semi-synthetic) oil in it. I did an oil change when I got the car and put a fresh lot of the same oil in.

I have a bit more money this time round and I want to put Motul 300v Chrono 10w-40 (fully-synthetic) in the engine.

My questions are;
1. I know fully synthetic oils are fine mixed with mineral and semi's, although not advised, will I need to flush the existing oil out with a flushing agent?
2. Is the standard fiat oil filter (S4P435) good or is there an aftermarket alternative?

any advice is much appreciated
Thanks

As long as the engine is thoroughly warmed before you drop the old oil out, and you give it a decent amount of time to drain, you shouldn't need to worry about mixing of oils as most of the old should drain out. If you want to use an oil flush that's fine, but not necessary imho. If you do, follow the manufacturers instructions. I used to buy a tin of flush at the local parts store, stick it in and drive home (about 3 miles) but I've seen some evidence that actually driving the car with oil flush in can damage big end bearings and such as it thins the oil considerably.

The Fiat oil filters are fine though not cheap. As far as I know there are no "high performance" oil filters for these engines, the standard ones seem to work just fine!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've decided to no use any flush, there is minimal to no damage mixing old and new oil if I change it while it's still hot and leave plenty of time for it to drain. but there is potential to damage the engine WITH oil flush...

With your last comment about the oil filter, I found 1 for about £5. This is my first car so I have no comparrison for prices but I didn't think that it was expensive. Unless you was comparing it to other manufacturer oil filters?

http://shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=435&sku=1664

A fiver sounds about right for a pattern part, they're probably made in the same factory as the manufacturers own spec ones! You'd pay a lot more from a Fiat dealer and get exactly the same bit of kit!

There ARE some cars where the manufacturers filters are worth paying the extra for, but not Punto's!

Back