General Changing Multipla Radio/CD to allow iPod connection

Currently reading:
General Changing Multipla Radio/CD to allow iPod connection

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🎵

trynda1701

A question from a Multipla newbie! :)

Since buying and enjoying my '05 plate Elegenza, the one thing I miss from my old Mondeo's Radio/Cassete/CD player is iPod connection. Using the cassette/lead combo easily available was simple, to the extent the family hardly ever used the 6CD autochanger!

So, how easy is it to replace the standard unit on the Multipla? Do people here have recommendations, especially on what NOT to get if anyone have found problems with certain units or brands. Is it as easy as something easily available out of Argos, or are there pitfalls and tech specs to look out for? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Years ago, I would have got my brother to fit a new stereo, but these days, with all their electronics, we are a bit more wary. So preferably, suggestions that didn't involve serious rewiring would be appreciated if they are in fact possible.

Mark

Hi (and welcome to the forum)

You might want to have a read of the 'CD Head unit and external audio source' thread a few discussions down from this one. There are also leads available for Fiats with Blaupunkt-made stereos that simply plug into the back of the unit and allow you to connect an iPod. Something like:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adapter-IPOD-...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item35b3689e2c

I haven't used one of those so I can't guarantee that it will work with a Multipla.

Or, if you aren't using an Apple product (this one wont charge the player):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUX-Adapter-i...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item35b3765732

I've got one of these to allow me to connect my Pure Highway DAB radio to the standard head unit, but please read the other thread in conjunction with this item - I had to use a little resistor to get it to work. Sounds complicated, but it isn't!

If you're going to replace the factory stereo with an aftermarket unit, check the installation manual carefully before you buy. A lot of head units don't like to be tilted at the steep angle required for installation in a Multipla.

To my eyes, almost all aftermarket units look very out-of-place in a Multipla dashboard so I didn't want to take that route, but that's just personal preference.

Hope this helps!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
hi, I just replaced mine with new Alpine unit http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/products/details/cd-head-units/cde-112ri.html
I routed the Ipod cable which connects to the back of the stereo to the right hand glove box . the fitting of the unit it self was easy, all you need is a new fascia plate/adaptor (ebay) and an antenna adaptor.
the unit it self is not the cheapest but I must say it sounds excellent and has lots of features...or you could spend approx £50 more and get the one with Bluetooth for hands free calling. (y)

hi, I just replaced mine with new Alpine unit http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/products/details/cd-head-units/cde-112ri.html
I routed the Ipod cable which connects to the back of the stereo to the right hand glove box . the fitting of the unit it self was easy, all you need is a new fascia plate/adaptor (ebay) and an antenna adaptor.
the unit it self is not the cheapest but I must say it sounds excellent and has lots of features...or you could spend approx £50 more and get the one with Bluetooth for hands free calling. (y)

Well i don't agree with the comment made that after market stereo's look out of place. I recently installed an Alpine CDE 103 and i reckon it look's great. see pics. And if you buy the OEM alpine USB cable then you can plug it straight into your iphone and bingo!!

Attachments

• DSCN0514.JPG
    DSCN0514.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN0515_2.JPG
    DSCN0515_2.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
every multi in this room has a diffrent sterio better than the standard ive seen some nice ones in multi's some one on here has 1 with rear cam and allsorts look around halfords 4 what u want and need starts at around 100 all in with facia fiat cover

Umberto and frogger

I take it you just replaced the head unit on your Multiplas, no adding of new speakers or amps or something more sophisticated? How easy did you find installation, or did you have them fitted for you?

trynda

yes you are correct, just a head unit change. it was very easy approx 20mins
-remove old unit using stereo unlock keys/tool (couple quid from halfrauds)
-disconnect connectors and antenna connections.
-fit new stereo cage into new fascia plate (ebay)
-fit the fascia plate with the cage attached
-fit antenna adaptor (ebay)
-fit connectors to the new stereo.
-slide in new stereo and you are done.

the only difference is that with my unit was the iPod connection cable was fitted to the back of the new stereo and I routed to the right hand glove box.

Umberto and frogger

I take it you just replaced the head unit on your Multiplas, no adding of new speakers or amps or something more sophisticated? How easy did you find installation, or did you have them fitted for you?

trynda

Tricky at first then i realised that by undoing a couple of screws, 1 inside the ashtray compartment and the other underneath the cup holder, that section of the dash came away and made the whole install much easier.

I had to do this beacuse i wanted to keep the steering wheel controls so with the alpine head unit once you've connected the adaptor cable, mic cable etc it did get very congested down there.

Hope That Helps:)

What
yes you are correct, just a head unit change. it was very easy approx 20mins
-remove old unit using stereo unlock keys/tool (couple quid from halfrauds)
-disconnect connectors and antenna connections.
-fit new stereo cage into new fascia plate (ebay)
-fit the fascia plate with the cage attached
-fit antenna adaptor (ebay)
-fit connectors to the new stereo.
-slide in new stereo and you are done.

the only difference is that with my unit was the iPod connection cable was fitted to the back of the new stereo and I routed to the right hand glove box.
What sort of antenna adaptor should I get?

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🎵
Back