General Changing gears....

Currently reading:
General Changing gears....

Hi there,

Do you usually change your gears by ear or according to the markings on the speedo?

I live in the Alps and the roads are pretty "unflat" and I sometimes struggle to find the correct gear (I most usually drive in 2nd as soon as the slope reaches 5-7%).

Regards
Olivier

Hi there,

Do you usually change your gears by ear or according to the markings on the speedo?

I live in the Alps and the roads are pretty "unflat" and I sometimes struggle to find the correct gear (I most usually drive in 2nd as soon as the slope reaches 5-7%).

Regards
Olivier
I am lucky in that I have a tachometer on my 500 (a '695'replica) but in the days of my 'yoof' when I ran a pretty standard 500, I changed gears by listening to the engine. If it was starting to struggle, I went down a gear---if it was running easily, I went up a gear. The marks on the speedo are the manufacturers reccomendation for maximum in that particular gear. Subject to how much of a run you have had at it, I would have thought that a 500 would be able to cope with a 5% hill in 3rd.

I am lucky in that I have a tachometer on my 500 (a '695'replica) but in the days of my 'yoof' when I ran a pretty standard 500, I changed gears by listening to the engine. If it was starting to struggle, I went down a gear---if it was running easily, I went up a gear. The marks on the speedo are the manufacturers reccomendation for maximum in that particular gear. Subject to how much of a run you have had at it, I would have thought that a 500 would be able to cope with a 5% hill in 3rd.
That's the way I usually do, by ear, I find it really easier.

The hill to my house has an average 10% climb, that's why I usually keep my 2nd. My 500L ('71) can cope with a 5% climb but I do not want to push the engine.

That's the way I usually do, by ear, I find it really easier.

The hill to my house has an average 10% climb, that's why I usually keep my 2nd. My 500L ('71) can cope with a 5% climb but I do not want to push the engine.
Just remember---the Fiat 500 was designed BY Italians to be driven BY Italians---2 throttle positions; ON and ON (with the VERY occasional off!) Driving it (sensibly) hard won't hurt it.

Back