Technical Change Engine Oil Message & Flashing Red Oil Can Light

Currently reading:
Technical Change Engine Oil Message & Flashing Red Oil Can Light

stuartinlancashire

These have just come up today on the dash on my 14 plate 1.3 MultiJet Fiorino (with DPF fitted).

I know I need to get an oil change done ASAP, especially as I do very high mileage so soon rack the miles up and I don't want to end up with the van in limp mode or a clogged DPF. I'm thinking I'll most likely just get it in to a Fiat dealer this time to get it done.

However I usually do my own filter changes so my question is is the Multiecuscan software capable of resetting both the change oil message and the DPF counter that I assume is what activates the flashing red oil can light? I@ve had a browse around the forum but can't find a definite answer. I hope there is a way to reset it myself as I don't fancy having to drop it in to the Fiat dealer every 5 or 6 weeks :mad:

These have just come up today on the dash on my 14 plate 1.3 MultiJet Fiorino (with DPF fitted).

I know I need to get an oil change done ASAP, especially as I do very high mileage so soon rack the miles up and I don't want to end up with the van in limp mode or a clogged DPF. I'm thinking I'll most likely just get it in to a Fiat dealer this time to get it done.

However I usually do my own filter changes so my question is is the Multiecuscan software capable of resetting both the change oil message and the DPF counter that I assume is what activates the flashing red oil can light? I@ve had a browse around the forum but can't find a definite answer. I hope there is a way to reset it myself as I don't fancy having to drop it in to the Fiat dealer every 5 or 6 weeks :mad:

Hi. Yes MES Should be able to reset the DEGRADATION INDEX.
[ As well as the normal service stuff]

SEARCH that term on here for more info..

Charlie

Just an update, it's booked in with a local garage who say they can reset the counter. For now it's going nowhere as I noticed the oil level is high so it looks like there has been some failed DPF regens. Hopefully the 600 mile round trip it did yesterday has cleared out the DPF.

I've installed the free version of multiescan on an old notebook I have and the ELM 327 v1.4 interface I ordered has just arrived. I just have to figure out a way of getting the drivers for the interface onto the notebook as it has no CD drive.

In the meantime I'm still waiting to hear back from the garage, left it with them this morning.

Final update on this. Garage I used changed oil and filter and where succesful in reseting the DPF counter thus turning off the flashing oil light ☺

I won't name the garage in case that breaks any rules. They are in Chorley, Lancs and if anyone wants their details I'm happy to answer in a PM.

I had a full service at 57000 miles on the Qubo (obvs inc oil and filter but plus front springs, top bushes, discs and pads! - it runs much nicer now) BUT since 1500 miles ago the repetitive Change Oil warning and flashing can light have been bugging me. (Diesel engine)

Took it in next door to my (very) local indie garage and the guy asked if I'd checked the level (had I...?) so on checking, it was about 1/3rd low - he topped me up and said to ignore the light (he was busy..)

It would seem far too soon to be needing a change - is this a filter warning or something else? I have a 'Streetwise' OBD device for code reading/clearing but wonder if it's likely to be anything more than a low level?

I'll set up the reader and clear the code otherwise.

R-V-M
(P.S. I have a tuning chip advertised in the FS section, CRTD4 unit from TDI, setup for the Qubo/Fiorino 1.3 75PS engine and its Vauxhall etc. equivalents should anyone be interested in improving economy, power, torque...)

The mechanic was wrong under no circumstances ignore the oil degraded message as it will become t regen the dpf and can soon clogged the dpf beyond repair requiring it to be replaced
Depending on how long ago the oil change as done it may be due to be changed again and the couter reset on the computer

And if it says oil change it is not a level warning or anything else
It means it thinks the oil needed changing asap as it is to degraded to protect the engine

Last edited:
The interval since the last oil and filter change was from 57000 to about 63000 so only 6000 miles. Anyway, rather than take risks (?) as I need the car to be reliable it's going in on Monday afternoon to have new oil and filter again. It'll be after a 50 mile run so nice and hot. I trust being well mixed that all crud in the engine/sump will pour out nicely.

Simply stating 'Change Engine Oil' is rather a limited warning as it doesn't say why, I'd have thought it would be the filter possibly being clogged? Maybe the warning is triggered by a few different things?

R-V-M

The mechanic was wrong under no circumstances ignore the oil degraded message as it will become t regen the dpf and can soon clogged the dpf beyond repair requiring it to be replaced
Depending on how long ago the oil change as done it may be due to be changed again and the couter reset on the computer

And if it says oil change it is not a level warning or anything else
It means it thinks the oil needed changing asap as it is to degraded to protect the engine

I have just had my warning and light come on today , what i dont understand is .....I purchased the van in Oct 15 and did my first oil and filter change in Oct 17 after 12,000 miles , in these 2 years I did not get the warning.
I used the OEM oil but not filter , this has done me 1 year and 5,000 miles , why such a difference ?

I have just had my warning and light come on today , what i dont understand is .....I purchased the van in Oct 15 and did my first oil and filter change in Oct 17 after 12,000 miles , in these 2 years I did not get the warning.
I used the OEM oil but not filter , this has done me 1 year and 5,000 miles , why such a difference ?

Its judging oil quality. ;)

So filtration will play a part..
As will journey type and driving style..

Its judging oil quality. ;)

So filtration will play a part..
As will journey type and driving style..

So are you saying that whatever the oil was that came with the van was better than the spec selinia that i put in ?

I did the oil and filter last night with main dealer gear , I'm just off to have the lights put out now for £30 + vat , see how long it goes this time !

It is not measuring the oil directly at all, it is assuming oil degradation based on use. There is an oil degradation counter, as already stated, which should be reset, can be done with a licenced Multi ecuscan as noted. It is likely this was not done.

Back