Styling Centre cap trims for steel wheels

Currently reading:
Styling Centre cap trims for steel wheels

DaveMcT

Distinguished member
To save the alloys, I have just fitted a set of 6J x 15 steels to the 100HP. I need to bling up the centres and wheel nuts as it looks like a van.

The wheels fit the hub centre boss so there is no space for a trim cap. Dose anyone have any suggestions?

I dont want to fit ordinary wheel trims.

I was talking to @testacorsa about this recently, I know he uses MINI R50 centre caps, as shown (fitted to his blue 1.2) here

He sent a link to them: https://www.outmotoring.com/winter-tire-hub-cap.html

I was thinking of getting some and occasionally check for used ones, but I understand they need a bit of minor modification / gentle persuasion to fit.

There was an Abarth 500 winter kit with 16" steels and centre caps. Quite fetching I thought:
fiat white wheels 02b.JPGfiat white wheels 04.jpg
I also found these on my travels, but no idea where they got them and a bit bling for my tastes:
fiat white wheels 05.jpg

Last edited:
My wheels are that style. :)

They fit the hub centre boss. Maybe I goofed and should have got wheels with 2 mm clearance to make room for the caps.

Maybe something like this with the correct logo.

VW-MK2-Golf-G60-steel-wheel-centre-trim.jpg

Last edited:
rmjbn1 DaveMcT

True, they can be persuaded to fit. They are made for 4x100, but will almost fit 4x98.
Long story short: I bought mine used in Germany on the way to Nürburgring. I also bought new tires to fit the 6x15 steelies I painted. I didn't bring any tools, but I couldn't wait to fit the hubcaps to complete the look I had planned for so long, so I just put them on and kept tightening the wheel bolts until they were very snug. That resulted in a slight squaring of the hub cap, but only the lower part. It isn't visible at all when mounted. Should I do it again, I would use a dremel to remove just a smidge from four opposite points on the hubcap.

To me they look the bizzz :slayer:

Btw, I used a permanent market to cover the MINI logo :D

Attachments

• Message_1556097273081.jpg
    Message_1556097273081.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 206
  • runde1thumb3.jpg
    runde1thumb3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200207_153942.jpg
    20200207_153942.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 206
The black VW trims arrived. The logo is easily ground off with a flap wheel and I have Fiat logo stickers to cover the front face.

The caps are intended to clip into the wheel centre as expected. I think the solution is to trim off the clips and screw the flanges to the wheel using the two brake disc retaining threads (M8). Stainless socket flange heads will do the job nicely. Black screws are available if I decide to leave the plastic as is.

The wheels will be painted silver. I have not yet decided if the caps should be left black or painted silver.

Note - The M8 pegs used to retain the brake discs are there for convenience only. The discs are actually held in place by the wheel bolts.

Attachments

• Retaining clips.jpeg
    Retaining clips.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • Fiat logo in place.jpeg
    Fiat logo in place.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
  • Original and cleaned trims.jpeg
    Original and cleaned trims.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I've primed and painted the wheels using Halford's "Stainless steel" wheel paint. It's verging on samey with the body colour but its growing on me.

The centre trim tops were cleaned off with a well worn angle grinder disc to remove the VW logo. The plastic is tough so It took a while but the result is flat. They were "Plastigrip" primed and painted with bright silver.

The trims in full silver just didn't look right so the flanges were over-painted with satin black. The Fiat roundels are an ideal fit so it looks OEM.

The image shows stainless retaining screws but the black trims are now retained with black finish M8 bolts into the disc alignment pin holes. This will be inconvenient for wheel changing, so plan to thread the pin ends and use dome nuts.

The wheel bolts look horrible so I have some trim caps on order. Worth a try at £5 for 20 .

Incidentally, the disc retaining pins are on the same 98mm PCD as the wheel lug bolts.

Final pix with blinged lug bolts and black trim retainers to follow.

Attachments

• New wheels.jpeg
    New wheels.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 92
  • Wheel trim old bolts.jpeg
    Wheel trim old bolts.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I've primed and painted the wheels using Halford's "Stainless steel" wheel paint. It's verging on samey with the body colour but its growing on me.

The centre trim tops were cleaned off with a well worn angle grinder disc to remove the VW logo. The plastic is tough so It took a while but the result is flat. They were "Plastigrip" primed and painted with bright silver.

The trims in full silver just didn't look right so the flanges were over-painted with satin black. The Fiat roundels are an ideal fit so it looks OEM.

The image shows stainless retaining screws but the black trims are now retained with black finish M8 bolts into the disc alignment pin holes. This will be inconvenient for wheel changing, so plan to thread the pin ends and use dome nuts.

The wheel bolts look horrible so I have some trim caps on order. Worth a try at £5 for 20 .

Incidentally, the disc retaining pins are on the same 98mm PCD as the wheel lug bolts.

Final pix with blinged lug bolts and black trim retainers to follow.

They look awesome(y)

It's not specified but looks like a Torx fastener. These willl take far more abuse than a hex key but MUST have the correct key. I will be getting a 1/2" drive Torx key to use with the extending wheel wrench I keep in the car. If its a special, the key will go into a little storage box as I used to do with the security bolt key.

Torx fasteners get damaged because the size one-under will often feel like it fits. The trick is always to try the next size up before applying any load. One time out of three, the larger key fits and you've dodged a bullet.

Last edited:
Final pictures with the Torx wheel bolts and black M8s holding the trims.

Now waiting for warmer weather to paint the front bumper.

Attachments

• E9BA60FE-5C31-4327-B92B-82DD704A22DD.jpeg
    E9BA60FE-5C31-4327-B92B-82DD704A22DD.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 198
  • C0E0CFC6-CF41-483B-96EE-FF10FA7B48EB.jpeg
    C0E0CFC6-CF41-483B-96EE-FF10FA7B48EB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
These trims are getting hard to find, but the back is flat, sitting around the steel wheel lug-bolt heads. Wont work with OEM 100HP alloys.

Last edited:
Back