Technical central locking problem

Currently reading:
Technical central locking problem

Barragandi

Hi .
my wifes fiat Punto has Central locking or it did up to a week ago when she jump started the car and since then is now unable to get the doors open by pressing the central locking button fitted into the ignition key.
can anyone help.

Hi mate,

Does the C/L work when you put the key in the doors?

Does the little light on the key flash when the button is pressed?

Alan

yes all the doors open when the key is in the doors, just not remotly.
and there isnt any light from the key and it has had a new battery.

Last edited:
IF the light isnt coming on on the key, then it most likely the key is at fault. Have you got a second key that you can test?

Secondly, when you say the key has had a new battery. did you check you put it round the right way (easy done) and used the correct type?

Alan

a1ant sorry just rechecked my wifes key the red light flashes when pressed.

flashes just the once and ive just checked to make sure the batteries are in correctly (they are)

Last edited:
Ok,

Does the LED on the dash flash at all when the car is first locked? If it does note how many flashes as this is a self diagnostic process.

Alan

the key flashes when pressed for as long as you hold it in.
nothing lights on the dash when this is pressed.
when the key is in the door and turned the central locking opens all the doors but nothing flashes on the dash.

Ah, i take it it doesnt have an alarm then?

Also, is the car starting ok with the key? Ie does the code light go out and the engine start?

The RF transmitter works on a separate code system to the immobiliser. The receiver is built into the body computer and the aerial for this runs up the drivers (UK) side A pilar. I would suggest that as it is only since the vehicle was jump started, that there may have been a spike in the electrical system which has effected the programming of the RF receiver codes or the receiver itself. It looking like the best bet would be a trip to fiat where it can be put on examiner and a more detailed diagnostic can be done.

From the tests we have already done, it would suggest that the key is working correctly, and its likely to be a fault with either the receiver, or simple re-coding issue.

Alan

Last edited:
ok Thanks Alan

Is there any simple way of checking/ recoding.
else it looks like im not going to save myself the trip Fiat.

You can try removing battery in remote for a l o n g time, this hopefully will let the rolling code resort to its original start point which is stored in the receiver. Else get the codes from Fiat if they have them.

Back