Technical CDA Fitting

Currently reading:
Technical CDA Fitting

Mad Matt

Dear All,

Someone was asking about CDA fitting and I can't find the original request but they asked if I could put up some photos.

I'm not suggesting that the CDA is the best induction kit and I'd advise anyone looking to consider the GSR kit and I think LRB is working with someone on another idea too. I'd steer away from the cone filters as they will tend to draw hotter air from the engine bay and so deliver less power (I think even manifold wrapping is not going to help as much as a cold air intake). One of these days I'll do a rolling road then we can have a bit more info!

If you do want to do the CDA kit you've got at least three fitting options:

1. Move the battery and get a part made to pipe the cold air to the CDA. See the Doc's project thread for more details.

2. Get a slightly smaller battery and duct the intake down to the CDA which sits vertically just in front of the battery. Then duct the cold air to the CDA from the bottom right (as seen from the front of the car).

3. As above but using bits from the original air intake system and leaving the battery where it is. The only problem I found with this method s that the pipe at the bottom of the CDA is prone to grounding.

My Barchetta is an early one so the mass air sensor sits in it's own metal section of pipe. I think later Barchettas have the sensor built into the throttle body so there's a little more space to play with. this is what BMC (who make the CDA) have based their fitting guide on.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post up my experience with it!

Here's some photos of option number three:

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
I feel all warm inside!

Fitted as shown in the photo, yes it hangs about 2cm or so lower than the bottom of the car. I didn't get it caught on most speed bumps, but it did get knocked a few times.

Fitted as I've got it now it's slightly higher than the bottom of the car so can't get hit.

The main difference is that I chose a slightly smaller battery and positioned it as far forward as I could. I then put the metal pipe with the air sensor as the next piece to the throttle body and ran a pipe round the battery (to the left of the battery as you look at it from the front of the car) to the CDA. This means that the CDA is in more or less the same place as the photo, just a few cm higher so it can't get hit. I needed to do that as fitting the Eibachs lowered the car a little :)

Some pics of the 2nd option. Please excuse the silver piping, I'm still trying to find someone who can do a flexible pipe of the right length and width.

The pictures are supposed to show what fits where and the first one under the car to show that there are no clearance problems. In the first one you can just see a sliver of ground at the top (so it's upside down).

Attachments

• IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Yes, mine's the Mk1, which means due to the mass air sensor I can't fit it like yours, which BTW looks pretty nice!

Back