Technical CD player help

Currently reading:
Technical CD player help

I need help... I cannot do car stuff but i thought changing a stereo from the basic factory one to a new one would be relatively simple.. damn was i wrong...

I have put in a new cd player in my fiat punto mk2b and it wont power up.
I used the the adaptor that came with my kenwood KDC-4054UR and i also bought an adaptor for the aerial connection. I reset the cd player as it said in the instructions when installation completed and you hear the insides moving. I press the power on and nothing happens..

Does anyone have any ideas??

did you have your ignition on as some radios only work via ignition.

forgot to mention is there a mounting screw that holds the cd drive and needs removing first called a transit screw.

Last edited:
as for the transit screw, it didnt mention one in the instructions for the stereo. but i can have a look when im at my car.. Im working at the moment and cant just go out.. but any ideas you give me i will try when i get out there.

you will need to recheck wiring again,you should have 2 power supply by red and yellow wires from radio,blue is used for powering amp/electric =not used,and the black from radio should be an earth,they are the basic connections.

Now that is something i was thinking about because in the instructions it says that on vauxhall/Opel cars its reversed, but if i do reverse it and its wrong will it do anything bad to my car?? I can do without it blowing fuses on a sunday night at 2am when i finish work.

the problem with joining the yellow and red to the one 12 volt power supply is depending how your stereo is wired internally might cause your car battery to be run down very quickly overnight in some cases

ive found the safest way to wire mk 2 b puntos up is as suggested on here and that is to take a live from the ciggie lighter to turn the radio on and the other one stays via in car loom

safest way and to stop you chopping car loom up is to buy the dedicated fiat punto iso car adapter lead ,this way everything is safe and you only need to cut one cable (the red one)
eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-PUNT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fc3e6013

yellow lead needs constant poewer for radio memory
red wire is the switched lead via ciggie lighter

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
***FACE PALM ***

I have now lost track of how many times this has been asked without being searched for but hear goes

your punto does not have the relevant wiring behind the radio for an aftermarket radio to work out of the box it has a constant live feed and an earth, the switching of the radio on and off with the ignition is controlled by the CAN-BUS system which digitally tells the radio to switch on or not.

aftermarket radios don't access the can system so this doesn't work hear is however the main problem.

you plug your aftermarket radio into the cars wiring without knowing this and you can seriously damage the electronics of the car (can-bus) this has happened a number of times on this forum you MUST REMOVE THE RADIO FROM YOUR CAR IMMEDIATELY !!!

then go out and buy a Fiat Punto Mk2 wiring adaptor which will isolate the CAN-BUS wiring from your replacement radio.

finally this will leave you with the radio permanently switched on unless you manually switch it off, it will not switch with the ignition as mentioned above there is no wiring behind the radio to allow this.

To solve this you will need to run a wire (at least 20AWG) from your cigarette light socket to the radio's switched live input, this will then allow the radio to function as it should

the wiring inputs are usually on a sticker on the top of all car radios if not you should have the instructions to assist you with this.

Seriously though before going any further, go take the thing out and hope its not damaged anything

***FACE PALM ***

I have now lost track of how many times this has been asked without being searched for but hear goes

your punto does not have the relevant wiring behind the radio for an aftermarket radio to work out of the box it has a constant live feed and an earth, the switching of the radio on and off with the ignition is controlled by the CAN-BUS system which digitally tells the radio to switch on or not.

aftermarket radios don't access the can system so this doesn't work hear is however the main problem.

you plug your aftermarket radio into the cars wiring without knowing this and you can seriously damage the electronics of the car (can-bus) this has happened a number of times on this forum you MUST REMOVE THE RADIO FROM YOUR CAR IMMEDIATELY !!!

then go out and buy a Fiat Punto Mk2 wiring adaptor which will isolate the CAN-BUS wiring from your replacement radio.

finally this will leave you with the radio permanently switched on unless you manually switch it off, it will not switch with the ignition as mentioned above there is no wiring behind the radio to allow this.

To solve this you will need to run a wire (at least 20AWG) from your cigarette light socket to the radio's switched live input, this will then allow the radio to function as it should

the wiring inputs are usually on a sticker on the top of all car radios if not you should have the instructions to assist you with this.

Seriously though before going any further, go take the thing out and hope its not damaged anything

should be made a sticky this:D

now go and get your wheelbearing link off facepalm so i can comment on it:D

Having the same problem with my crappy ripspeed unit

got the facia from old car but the wiring isn't correct (no power) The Iso pins dont touch so im okay in that sense

Has anybody found just the adaptor set? AS i could do with 1 of those :)
If not i'll just get 1 of those linked above - possibly help with my next part of my plan :)

ziggy

Back