cat

Currently reading:
cat

think of doing it my self, costing 80 quied for the 1.8 hlx. i`m not sure if it will pass the MOT.

I got a Cobra full stainless system from Ascar for my 1.6sx from the cat back,
they were a great bunch of lads and did the job very well,
because of this i was thinking of going there to get a cat replacment pipe but was wondering if anyone had done this before and got through the MOT without it?

If not then how easy would it be to put back while you only have to do it once a year?

Re: Re: Re: cat

Cars manufactured up to and including 1992 dont legally have to be fitted a CAT even though some were, like my old 92 nova. So consequently you can remove them if it was built b4 92 (like i did) and still pass MOT (I actully gained 5bhp documented from fitting K&N and removing CAT). However all cars after 1993 have to have a CAT fitted to pass an MOT. However you can buy removable CAT replacement pipes so you can put your CAT back on for the MOT. The only problem with these is that if you have an accident and you have removed you CAT you insurance will become void and you will be liable to pay for all accident damage to yours and anyone elses car.
Its your choice though.

Re: Re: Re: Re: cat

i failed my mot with my de-cat pipe, so i put on the cat for the re-test

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cat

am i right in thinking diesels (not just fiats) dont need a cat for the MOT?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cat

@ Livio: have a look at previous threads through the search option and you will see all the info you need re the cat. I will also see that I am one of the stonchest supporters for de-cating because of the better revs you get for relatively no money. And no, you dont.

@ Pete: you dont have to fork out 80 bucks for the cat replacement. It is a ten minute job where you get the cat neatly cut (without damaging) from both sides and then reconnect by welding a steel pipe.

Basta!

@ Steve: What do you mean you have a full stainless steel system from the cat back? All you have there is just a back box and thats it. If you leave it like that you have just wasted your money.
I say rip of all the pipework from the engine onwards...and get a proper racing exhaust done.

First of all dump the standard exhaust 4 in 2 in 1 manifold and get yourself a 4 in 1 one manifold which will most definetly up your performance considerably. From then on all you have to do is get a straight pipe done with a small sound restrictor box (just so that you can at least here your chick talking to you whilst driving) and finish off with the back box that you bought. Than tell me that you got addicted to your Bravo. For MOT, you can always refit the cat and then remove again.

NB: Above based on self experience.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cat

forget the above

@ Livio: have a look at previous threads through the search option and you will see all the info you need re the cat. You will also see that I am one of the stonchest supporters for de-cating because of the better revs you get for relatively no money.

@ Pete: And no, you dont have to fork out 80 bucks for the cat replacement. It is a ten minute job where you get the cat neatly cut (without damaging) from both sides and then reconnect by welding a steel pipe.

Basta!

@ Steve: What do you mean you have a full stainless steel system from the cat back? All you have there is just a back box and thats it. If you leave it like that you have just wasted your money.
I say rip of all the pipework from the engine onwards...and get a proper racing exhaust done.

First of all dump the standard exhaust 4 in 2 in 1 manifold and get yourself a 4 in 1 one manifold which will most definetly up your performance considerably. From then on all you have to do is get a straight pipe done with a small sound restrictor box (just so that you can at least here your chick talking to you whilst driving) and finish off with the back box that you bought. Than tell me that you got addicted to your Bravo. For MOT, you can always refit the cat and then remove again.

NB: Above based on self experience. Infact my 1.6 is greatly feared by the 1.8's.