Technical Cars in Reverse but drives forward

Currently reading:
Technical Cars in Reverse but drives forward

Tungate87

Hi Guys

The wife went to drive her car this morning but wouldn’t go into gear.

Called recovery to collect when he put the car into the gear it just popped back out again but when he put it into reverse the car drive forward to his delight making his job a lot easier.

Anyone have any ideas if this has happened before tried to search it up but couldn’t find anything.

Sorry 🤦‍♂️

62 plate 500 Abarth
70k on clocks

Garage first thought was clutch until I told him about it driving forwards whilst in reverse.

Manual.

My mechanic had a quick look before going home said side selector cable looks like it’s gone. So hopefully not as serious as first feared

Manual.

My mechanic had a quick look before going home said side selector cable looks like it’s gone. So hopefully not as serious as first feared
Good. I have never heard of this before but selector cables are the obvoius thing. Scarey but hopefully not bankruptcy.

either broken selector cable which would need replacing, probably pretty costly as the cables pass through the bulkhead from behind the dash on the 500

Or one of the cables has popped off and just needs popping back on, definitely a lot cheaper. but sometimes they pop off because the cable has gotten stuck in its sleeve and you still need to replace the cables.

Cheers for the reply’s.

Seems as tho the sideways selector cable is shot.

Fiat quoted £250 for two new cables.

Does anyone else know the part number or a place to get them from as it seems a bit of a mine field on these. I find Abarth 1.4 set to get told no I need a different set for 1.3 does t make any sense.

Hi guys,

So Desira still haven’t received the gearbox cables from when I last posted back in May and rekon end of September at the earliest.

Does anyone know where the best place to get these from or if the part numbers have changed at some point or what the part number should be.

Fiat Abarth 62plate manual

Back