Career change???

Currently reading:
Career change???

charmed103 said:
yeah I no that fella, it's just i am used to being able to spend my dollar on what I want, wen I want!

don't get me wrong i can do budgets, n I will be fine(y)

(y)

charmed103 said:
part of my job is to help ppl with career changes n look at gaining new qualifications and how that works in the real world, I also advise ppl on costs n where to find courses that they are looking at, as in where can they get training etc.

if u want any help, I am off sick at the min n have some time on my hands, pm me and I will see wot I can do if u'd like(y)

that offer extends to every1 by the way (y)

It's funny that this topic be brought up now, of all times.
Last august I became unemployed thanks to company insolvency. Since then I have been freelancing, working from home and spending a lot of time thinking about things.

I do not like the job I have found myself in. I do like aviation. I figured that one day I would train to be a private pilot and enjoy flying but then I started to realise that one day is potentially a long way off as I've always managed to find something essential to buy rather than embark on a flying course.

However, I've now gone and decided that my career should be as a commercial pilot and am currently exploring the possibilities and enrolling in a suitable school. It'll take over a year to complete training and then the salary won't be massive, but I've come to learn that money is nothing without happiness in everyday life.

I'd rather earn less but be happy - and just ow much money does a guy need to make anyway? I have pretty much all the toys I need and can feed myself.

There's just the small matter of £60k for the training... come on FF... have a whip round, please. It's for Moogs' happiness and wellbeing!

paulbfd said:
Have any of you ever though sod it and gone for a big career change?

I've been at the same place since I started work (12 years ago!) doing IT stuff, I don't really like anyone who works here, my bosses or the actual job I do.

Anyone ever gone for it? I need inspiration....

I've done it loads of times over the years mate but eventually thought its time to settle down and have been at my current place for 5 years. Trouble nowadays with flitting about is that as unemployment is at a record low there just isn't the same number of vacancies as there used to be. Then it's not just you chasing that ideal job but dozens of others who like you need a new challenge or direction. If you really need to move on, get your CV bang up to date, get yourself registered with a good Agency either on the Internet or through the press, start buying the local job papers and be patient. It's always easier to get the job you really want while you're still employed than take the first thing offered through desperation. Good luck.

I was working for a company for thirteen years, went there straight from school.
I ended up thinking if I don't change jobs now I will be here doing the same thing when I am 65
So I took my HGV class 2 and then class 1 and ended up driving long distance around europe for three years. Now settled in a transport job working Mon-Fri

S0 RUN said:
I was working for a company for thirteen years, went there straight from school.
I ended up thinking if I don't change jobs now I will be here doing the same thing when I am 65
So I took my HGV class 2 and then class 1 and ended up driving long distance around europe for three years. Now settled in a transport job working Mon-Fri

dude, least u can say u seen the world!!(y)

charmed103 said:
I totally agree wiv u!!!!!(y)

i went back n did my access course last year n it was one of the best things i ever did, I hope to start my degree this september, but due to having no dollar I decided to wait until this year to go bak to earn some money b4 I am totally skint for the next 3 years!!!!!!

good luck wiv the rest of ur course!!!:)

There is a way round the expense of University training, but it means taking some very needed professional courses at University Diploma level.

If you fancy Nursing, Teaching or Social Work, then you could be eligible for a non-means tested bursary. I'm hoping to start my Nursing Diploma at Uni in September (with the option to switch onto the degree programme in year three), and if all goes to plan I'll have NO course fees and also get a yearly bursary of £7,500 (approx.)! I'm not 100% sure, but I am fairly certain you get a similar system for Teaching and Social Work.

This is because these professions have a severe shortage, so it's to encourage more people into them. Plus as well, a large section of the course is on the job training, so in actual fact you will be 'working' as such while you train. But, you do need to WANT to do these professions else it will be hell!

An added advantage for those with families to support is that you also get a lot of benefits/ credits for dependants when doing these courses. You won't be living the life of luxury, but you certainly won't be on the poverty line! I know that just by being careful I will in actual fact be quite comfortable on £7.5K a year plus the knowledge that I will have no course fees to pay (y)

Oh, but if you switch to the degree on year three then you only get the means tested bursary for the last year which is about half that of the non-means tested bursary. If you go straight onto the Degree programme rather than the Diploma you get the reduced bursary from the start. Still, not many University courses will PAY you to study, so look on the bright side ;)

Just a thought for anyone put off with going to University because of the costs involved. :idea:

Back