Career advice

Currently reading:
Career advice

Firewarrior

Stilo Possee
Hiya people just after your 2 cents on my situation
Currently i work in a school, 8:30 - 4pm, i get the school holidays off (14 weeks) and access to a gym (aswel as all the lovely children.......NOT!)
I have been approaced by another company who can give me an extra £400 take home a month, this comes with standard 20 days holiday and varying hours (8 hours a day though)
Just not to sure what to do, im not making enough money where i am at the moment to save away, i have spoken to my current boss who said the chance of finincial progession is very limited.
I love where i work at the moment (the kids can be a right pain though), its just im barely scraping through every month, id like to be able to put some money aside every pay check and save up.
What do you all think?

if you like your current job why not stick with it and do something else during the 14 weeks that you are off, i know a teacher that did that for the first few years of his carear

a better paid job isnt always the better job :(

Quite right Gaz, the money maybe tempting to FW but like you suggest it could be crap, I guess he would need to suss it out before commiting.

Any chance you could do a work trial or similar?

Liam

Don't think it matters what job you do the money is never enough, you learn to live within your means.

I get paid relatively well and never have anything left at the end of the month :confused: so maybe better looking at money management than another Job?

Take the new job to start in July, when the summer holidays start. After 4 weeks, if you like the new job, then hand in your notice at the old job. Otherwise, hand in your notice at the new job. So get the better job of the 2, plus be paid for 2 jobs for 4 weeks or so! :D
H

I think mallets advice is pretty sound if the other company will wait for you, try before you buy.

It is true the more you earn the more you spend, but it doesn't always bring more happiness, job satisfaction is worth a hell of a lot believe me.

I know its It you are in and TBH unless you are willing to move around to a lrger company you will become stagnent.

My mate works in London in IT (Reid Recruitment) and has been given a £5K rise every 6 months since he started with his company 18months ago which is pretty good, and he will get another review 5 months from now, tho he only expects £2-3k on that one.

My other mate works for Student Loans company back in Glasgow and makes well over £40K a year and hes only mid 20's but thats again is a huge company.

but i also know folk who work in lower paid jobs and love it and would never change it, they just manage there money better.

I work in IT for a recruitment agency and till £££ is v. good but the fleet manager is supposedly leaving, i can have that job if i push but i like my job as it is now, the team is the best i have worked with ever, some people (end users) are pricks but that happens in every job. I know for a fact if i hang in with this job as well i will get a raise or even promotion if i work at it.

Just give it time see how things go, or do the opposit its upto you:D

Alan.D said:
Don't think it matters what job you do the money is never enough, you learn to live within your means.

I get paid relatively well and never have anything left at the end of the month :confused: so maybe better looking at money management than another Job?

I think basically the above quote hits the nail on the head(y)
Failing that, why not learn to knit! Im sure all my old teachers did knit to save money! Theres no way anyone in their right mind would buy them jumpers and cardigans that they used to wear!:yuck:

Back