General Carbon Footprint.....JUst from EGR valve

Currently reading:
General Carbon Footprint.....JUst from EGR valve

My Marea JTD 130 was way down on power and wouldn't even overtake trucks on a motorway hill. Thanks to the forum I gained the knowledge of what could be wrong.

Today I stripped the EGR Valve and all the related metal and plastic pipework. Only took about 10 mins to get off with only one knuckle graze!! I then managed to remove clumps and clumps of solid gooey carbon buildup from the EGR, large metal pipe from EGR to Intake. I took out so much that I could make my own carbon footprint. The carbon had reduced the internal diameter of the tube to about a 1/4 of it's original size.

I then took the car up the motorway still with the slightly dodgy MAF and what a difference, i was up to 90 in seconds.........can't wait to see what it's like with a new MAF.

How easy is it to clean the EGR? Can you basically talk me through what i need to do, to remove mine and clean it. Do i need any new gaskets or anything for refitting?

Hi Joske

It's a dead easy job and I think there is a guide on the Bravo technical bit,
anyway.............

Bits you'll need
12 or 13 mm short socket and ring spanner (can't remember which)
WD40
10 mm socket
Size 6 Allen type bit (socket)

1.The night before spray all the bolts on the EGR valve and vent pipe (Gold coloured metal pipe to inlet manifold)
2.Remove the vent pipe bolts to dislodge it from the EGR and remove them to enable access to the EGR valve retaining bolts.
3.Remove the EGR retaining bolts and prize EGR from mount taking care to avoid damage to gaskets.
4.Place EGR in bucket and fill up with carb cleaner / solvent. Then clean as below
5.Remove 3 x 10mm bolts retaining the vent pipe. Again place in bucket and clean with toothbrush. Clean vent pipe/inlet manifold join taking care not to push carbon into the engine.
6.Reassemble as removal

Thats it - easy job and you will notice the difference! You can use new gaskets and I would recommend it for the few quid they cost.

Cheers mate, will give it a go on the weekend i think. One last thing how many gasket seals will i need?

Last edited:
Back