Technical car wont start

Currently reading:
Technical car wont start

grandepuntomad

hi my car has been stood for 8 months, tryed stating it, it just tuns over. even with jump leads. car always started 1st time befor i stoped using it
:confused:

Check for fuel past the injectors and spark. The stale fuel thing is possible, but I've used fuel way older than that sans problema.

If no spark andno fuel past the injector(s) it'll be the TDC (aka crank) sensor.

You might also try jumping it with the +ive to battery +ive, but the -ive to chassis earth or something solid and metal on the engine block.

I too am having a similar problem. The car was working fine up until a few days ago, as I drove it to and from the MOT station.

Put tax on it, got it round the corner from my house, all of a sudden the revs just dropped to nothing and I coasted to a halt.

Left it a bit, then tried to start it up again......nothing. Pushed it home and left it for a couple of days.

So far it has had (engine-wise) new plugs and leads (to cure a misfire) and a new crankshaft sensor (as it was showing similar symptoms to a car I'd worked on that needed this part). Still nothing.

All four plugs are sparking, and the injector is putting fuel through.

Tried jump starting as I've never had a problem starting it this way. Nothing.

It just turns over, but won't start, and I'm beginning to think I should push it off the end of one of the piers, as I'm at my wit's end with it!!

I too am having a similar problem. The car was working fine up until a few days ago, as I drove it to and from the MOT station.

Put tax on it, got it round the corner from my house, all of a sudden the revs just dropped to nothing and I coasted to a halt.

Left it a bit, then tried to start it up again......nothing. Pushed it home and left it for a couple of days.

So far it has had (engine-wise) new plugs and leads (to cure a misfire) and a new crankshaft sensor (as it was showing similar symptoms to a car I'd worked on that needed this part). Still nothing.

All four plugs are sparking, and the injector is putting fuel through.

Tried jump starting as I've never had a problem starting it this way. Nothing.

It just turns over, but won't start, and I'm beginning to think I should push it off the end of one of the piers, as I'm at my wit's end with it!!

have you replaced the fuel filter?

so you must be missing spark, air or fuel as you say there is spark good, air maybe but might not be enough fuel

Ash

Diagnosed the problem earlier today. It seems the car is running extremely rich.

I understand that the mixture levels are controlled by the ecu. Is it as easy as simply getting another one from a scrap car (same cc obviously) and refitting in place of the old one?

Cheers
Dave

Or is it cheap enough (has anyone ever had to have it done before?) to simply get it adjusted?

i would say have a stab and the ECT (engine coolant temperature sensor) in the head would be causing this problem

its on the left side of the head as you look down it between 2 head bolts, think with a single spade connector on it

Ash

i would say have a stab and the ECT (engine coolant temperature sensor) in the head would be causing this problem

its on the left side of the head as you look down it between 2 head bolts, think with a single spade connector on it

Ash

It did half start when we unplugged the injector, but then didn't run for more than about half a second cos no fuel was goin thru it.

Seems like when the injector is plugged in, too much petrol is goin thru. Would this sensor be causing this?

I know it's been a while, I just got my car back after someone tried to weigh it in the other week without telling me!!!

I've just replaced the ECT sensor (1 pole) today. Whereabouts is the other sensor you were on about? Are they different?

Yea it is SPi.

---------

Just as a guide to how much it's overfuelling, I turned it over abt 3 times and the bit under the injector was just about full with petrol

have you replaced the fuel filter?

so you must be missing spark, air or fuel as you say there is spark good, air maybe but might not be enough fuel

Ash
Hi ,
I have a similar issue on a 2001 Brava which was previously running fine. I am hoping to pick some brains as I am new to this!
It would not start , although was turning over fine.
After reading some VERY useful posts on here I discovered that the fuel cutoff had been activated.
On resetting this the car would then start fine but only run for 10 secs or so & then revs dropped & it cut out again leading me to suspect the sensor or the switch was at fault.
Started in this same way 4 or 5 times no bother , but now won't start even after resetting cutoff & you can smell petrol which was not the case b4.
No warning lights & keycode light turns off ok.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated- apologies in advance as I'm new at all this!

Hi ,
I have a similar issue on a 2001 Brava which was previously running fine. I am hoping to pick some brains as I am new to this!
It would not start , although was turning over fine.
After reading some VERY useful posts on here I discovered that the fuel cutoff had been activated.
On resetting this the car would then start fine but only run for 10 secs or so & then revs dropped & it cut out again leading me to suspect the sensor or the switch was at fault.
Started in this same way 4 or 5 times no bother , but now won't start even after resetting cutoff & you can smell petrol which was not the case b4.
No warning lights & keycode light turns off ok.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated- apologies in advance as I'm new at all this!

Back