Car to drive across europe in

Currently reading:
Car to drive across europe in

I know its been done before, but its something I want to do. I want to buy a car that can carry three 6 footers across Europe on a 3 week road trip.

Essentials:

Estate
Reliable
Dirt Cheap (

The reason we want an estate as we can take it in turns to sleep in the back if push comes to shove.

I'm tilting to an 850 Volvo Estate with the 2.5 I5 engine (non turbo!)

Any estate should do the job so long as its had a decent service before the trip

No mention of the budget. 'dirt cheap' isnt a budget. Ive done it in a £100 estate for example

Ive done it in a 2.5 and even on the continent they arent cheap to run. In fact chances are if its dirt cheap and a 2.5 the engine will be a bit tired and may return less mpg than expected

Marea Weekend? Will probably be able to sell it for same price as you buy it when you get it back. Plenty cheap ones about. Very reliable, not many show-stopping issues. Can't guarantee everything will work all the time though!

Last edited:
Have you considered a early 90's Mercedes E class estate,(y) loads of room, 6 cylinder engine (I think) plus, in europe these old Mercs are used as taxi's, if they can take that kind of punishment... If you're going for the Volvo then I think old 700 series estate is slightly bigger than the 850. If you're looking for reliable then consider an old Toyota Camry estate, big car, comfortable and reliable. You can get any of these cars for less than £1000, buy a copy of Autotrader. Not forgetting the Honda Accord Aerodeck, big enough for a cub scout jamboree in the back.

Good luck (y) :D

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
hadn't thought of the mundano, might be worth a look.

Cheers for the advice on the volvo's, there numbering system is quite odd to understand but I think I'm getting it now.

The Honda hmm... again something I've not thought of, looks a little smaller in the photos I've seen - I take it its massive though.

Cheers all

From memory, Volvo numbering at a glance;

The last digit is commonly replaced by a zero - but in true swedish style a 4 denotes a 4 door saloon, a 5 a 5 door estate.

WAS
245 - famed mid sized estate with the curved shoulders
745 - larger box slab sided estate
945 / 965 - similar sized to 700s but with larger engines

THEN
245 - discontinued around 1993.
745 - replaced by 855 (850).
945 / 965 - discontinued

The 850 series then latterly became the 70 series - V (versatility) becoming the prefix for estates, S (saloon) for saloons. So - 850 estates become V70s with minor detailling.

A smaller "240 sized" car was also launched, the 40 series - V40 and S40 as above. (now updated with the 50 i think....)

Older Volvos in my experiences are pretty indestructable cars indeed - and what about Peugout 405 estates......

If you can find one I think the Camry estate is the biggest. There's always an old BMW 5 series touring if you're still looking. My experience of Peugeot estates tells me I wouldn't trust it to get you to Dover let alone Paris or Berlin, plus they are a bit smaller than the rest. Had you thought about an old people carrier, a Espace or Previa from the 90's, plenty of room to sleep in if you take a few seats out.

AUDI 80 ESTATE 1.9TDI (PICK ANY VARIENT)

seriously, you can get parts for them from here to china. they'll sit at 85mph all day on the motorway, more when you want. can get one for £2-400

don't bother with any french tatt.

astra van/estate 1.7 diesel will also serve you proud.:worship:

also remember diesel is cheaper on teh continant. and so is that all so important veg oil. we pay 65p at teh cheapest for veg oil, they pay around 15-20p/litre. and diesel is typically 80-88p/litre. in eastern EU countries diesel is more lik 60p/litre, and red diesel/watered down greasy water is available for pretty much nougth in farming villages :D

also note I'm not reccomending a volvo!! the diesel ones are too expensive, and the petrol ones are ALL painful on fuel expense. but if you HAVE to have one, a 940 2.0turbo IS THE MOST ECONOMICAL. NOT THE NA MODELS!!!

Last edited:
Back