Car PC Progress

Currently reading:
Car PC Progress

I couldnt stand it any longer, i had to put back in one of my subs. I would have put both in, but there'd be no room for my toolbox (and when driving a cento, thats an essential component :p ).

I never realised how bloody small the boot is! it took ages of fettling about trying to get the box to fit (single 12") as my QB69's sit quite low. In the Uno i had no problem, but the cinq is that bit too small :( It wont be a problem later when i glass in my own stealthbox and get rid of the 6x9's, but for now its a vast improvement. My music sounds like what its supposed to :D

Tomorrow i will have to get rid of the crappy coaxials that came with the car upfront with my components, as my sub now drowns most of the treble out :(

Then, fingers crossed, my punto GT console should be delivered early next week so i can work like a sprinter on speed to get my car PC all in and fitted ready for Stanford. It will probably be a little rough round the edges, but as long as its in, the perfecting can be done after. All depends on how early in the week i get the console as thats the only thing holding me back from starting ;) May get all the wiring done tomorrow though :idea:

Just a 'lil update from me :) More as i do it ;)

Re: Once a Bassjunkie, Always a Bassjunkie

paulbfd said:
You're just weak Luke!!!

We all remember when you got the Cinq - "No ICE, I want to keep the weight down"

I've got no chance having anything of mine ready for Stanford.

hehe i know :eek: Plans have changed though, im not going for stripped down performance so could go back to ICE a bit :p Im only putting in 1 though, not 2, so the weight isnt too excessive :devil:

Console finally came today :slayer:

On a trial fit, looks very promising. Need to modify the bit near the handbrake and the gearknob hole needs extending a little. Then just have to make mounts for it and build the box for the screen to be held in. From then i can make a facia that goes all round the top and hide all the rough edges/holes :D

From the pic you can see the black bit at the top - screen will go in there obviously. The PC unit will be bolted underneath the brace bar and boxed in nicely with some cooling fans and yellow LED's (give a nice yellow glow in the footwells). Will need to make a small box to go around the gearknob too. Decided nothing too fancy, just something to screw a gaitor to. The control headunit will go in the top part of the center console (modded slightly). Now just need to work out where to put the window switches as there isnt as much room as i expected :eek:

Attachments

• trialFit.JPG
    trialFit.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 56

Luke1985 said:
Now just need to work out where to put the window switches as there isnt as much room as i expected :eek:

Didn't Aaron put them in the arm rests on his Imola? :chin:

What about putting them in the doorcards where the window winder would be on an 899?

custard boy said:
ive seen them mounted inthe door cards. you could go the vauxhall route and mount them in the console between the handbrake/gearlever

Yea that was one option i was thinking, but the problem i found is theres very little room between the handbrake and gearknob with the handbrake down. It would seem that im gonna have to mod it to get it to fit as is.

Well i'll have some practice fibreglassing and may make up some switch pods to go on the end of the handles :idea: Or can just put back switches where they should be (albeit moved over a bit) and put one in the handle like aarons just on passenger side.

CinquePunto said:
you could get some punto window switches and mount them like this...

and yes it still looks like that, still need to tidy it all up...

centreconsoleswitch.JPG

I just dont have the room :( Its only a shoebox remember, dash sits quite low and i have to fit in an 8" touchscreen and CD player in there :D Ive had to sacrafice a mounted DVD drive already (n)

CinquePunto said:
what about cunningly mounting them in the blank switches at the top of the dash (bit of FG work and job's a gud'un) or in the ashtray bit (flip down cover to reveal switches?)

Trouble is again i want it to have as much of an OEM look as possible - which is why i took the trouble to get the GT console in the first place. I need ot have the switches easily accessible on my side, but also have a switch on the passenger side as i dont like passengers leaning across around my gearknob to open their window - too dangerous for my liking.

Did think about having them in the flip open area on console, but then where will i put all my USB mounts, audio jacks and power switches etc ;) :cool:

Back