General Car locks keep freezing?

Currently reading:
General Car locks keep freezing?

dac69er

Established member
Only had this issue once before in previous years, but this year its happening almost every day we have a frost.

I have to pour warm water on the boot lock and climb in through the boot!

To start with i couldnt even get the key in the door lock or turn it. I tried flooding the locks with wd40 to drive out any moisture, but now I can turn the lock, but it won't unlock still!!!

Once I get to work and the car is warmed up, it's all fine.

Any ideas on how to solve this??? It's getting pretty annoying on a cold morning to have to climb through the back of the car just to get in it!

I have exactly the same issue on my 126 (which is like being in the stone age compared to your car!!) However I reckon my issue is due to not having a vapour barrier or plastic sheet rain guides (not sure of the right word here) in my doors. It may be worth looking to see the condition of the plastic sheet and the adhesive tape that sticks it on behind your door cards. Apologies if I'm way off, however.

I am considering putting ~10 W heater pads on the backs of my door locks... Like you say, frozen every day with frost!

I've never had the door card off to see what is behind there. I'm a bit worried to try this time of year as everything is cold and brittle and likely to break!!!

I still can't get in the car doors as it hasn't thawed out enough yet. I can get in through the boot, but still can't open up the doors from the inside or outside!!!!

If they won't open from the inside either it does sound like the lock mechanism itself is freezing up, not simply the usual key lock bit.

You may be able to squirt some lube over it through the gap with the window wound down.
I'd go for silicone spray rather than basic WD40 if you have it.

I think I only had the door card off my Cinq once, to replace the door stay thing.
Access wasn't easy from what I remember, but it was along time ago and a lot of bottles have gone in the recycling bin since then!!!

I may give that a look. Just have to be careful not to get too much on the window!

I'm sure it would be straight forward enough with the door card off, but I just don't want to risk it in the cold weather with flimsy brittle fiat plastics.

The wd40 worked fine on The locks themselves, plus it was the only spray I had to hand with a nozzle bit on.

I don't know why it is all of a sudden such an issue this year when previous years have been reasonably trouble free.

Back