Technical Car judder under acceleration

Currently reading:
Technical Car judder under acceleration

roryclark

Hi all, my fiat bravo has developed quite a strong juddering when my foot is on the accelerator. It is most noticeable in 5th gear at around 60mph. also if i put my foot down it is less noticeable compared to when i am lightly accelerating which is when it is at its worse. Can anyone tell me what the issue is and how severe?

Cheers

Hi, I presume you are talking about a petrol engine.
I had this on my Punto and, after a lot of searching and trying to fix it, I think I can say that the cause was dirty injectors. Cleaning the injectors fixed the juddering problem, wich was manifesting mostly on the 2nd gear at mine.
I must say though that after not a very long time I needed to replace the IACV idle air control valve, because it got working really bad. And thinking back, I think the IACV showed some signs of being faulty way long before I've replaced it, so I think it could have contributed to an unbalanced running of the engine.
But for sure, cleaning the injector did fix the juddering problem at mine.
The problem can be also caused by incomplete burning and that can happen if there are problems to the electrical line: coils ---> spark plugs.

Hi, I presume you are talking about a petrol engine.
I had this on my Punto and, after a lot of searching and trying to fix it, I think I can say that the cause was dirty injectors. Cleaning the injectors fixed the juddering problem, wich was manifesting mostly on the 2nd gear at mine.
I must say though that after not a very long time I needed to replace the IACV idle air control valve, because it got working really bad. And thinking back, I think the IACV showed some signs of being faulty way long before I've replaced it, so I think it could have contributed to an unbalanced running of the engine.
But for sure, cleaning the injector did fix the juddering problem at mine.
The problem can be also caused by incomplete burning and that can happen if there are problems to the electrical line: coils ---> spark plugs.
Hi thanks so much for that, I have had a lot of people say it could be the driveshaft? it seems to inconsistent to be that though, if i try to drive very carefully the problem seems to go away.

Just hoping it isnt too expensive a job

Well, it was really not expensive at all, I did it myself. The car is Punto, but it's kind of the same. Here is how I did it:

@BlueBravoGuy is right. It is caused by driveshaft being consumed.
If the problem occur when accelerate more than medium, from 60-80 km/h, 100% sure is driveshaft problem. I have this problem in my Bravo '07 1.9 MJT Sport 6 Manual.

@BlueBravoGuy is right. It is caused by driveshaft being consumed.
If the problem occur when accelerate more than medium, from 60-80 km/h, 100% sure is driveshaft problem. I have this problem in my Bravo '07 1.9 MJT Sport 6 Manual.
Hi all, my fiat bravo has developed quite a strong juddering when my foot is on the accelerator. It is most noticeable in 5th gear at around 60mph. also if i put my foot down it is less noticeable compared to when i am lightly accelerating which is when it is at its worse. Can anyone tell me what the issue is and how severe?

Cheers
I have faced this issue recently and changed in the Near side drive shaft - the car is smooth as a butter now!

Back