Car insurance ‘on trust’

Currently reading:
Car insurance ‘on trust’

chr1s

Panda Lounge TA 2012
I’m collecting my new car on Friday, but I don’t know if the new insurance certificate will arrive in time, thanks to Royal Mail. The garage I’m buying the car from may be able to use their garage insurance to tax it, but when they spoke to the Post Office today they were told that during the postal strike the Post Office would take it on trust that the car is insured !!! :eek:

Can you believe this, when the Post Office are usually so fussy and particular ? I’m amazed.

But I almost hope it’s not true so that no insurance dodgers manage to tax their cars illegally, even if it delays me getting my car.

I can't imagine they're allowed. I wasn't allowed to use a fax to tax the Tipo, had to insure it, then go to buy it. The garage should be able to tax it - however more and more will ask for your details and want your covernote to process the road tax.

im very surprised and TBH a little doubting.unless they tax loads of cars there so they are regulars.

They may have meant they would trust the car dealer (Hmm, that doesn't run off the tongue very easily ;) ) but when I asked him, he seemed to think they were willing to trust Joe Public !

I find it very hard to believe too.

They will trust the dealer.
I once knew of a PO that allowed a dealer to tax a car with nothing but a photocopy of the V5.

Disclaimer: I invented that story it isn't real there is no post office and no dealer. honestly!

i remember when you could tax any car if you had a traders insurance policy even if the logbook wasnt in your name. can you still do that?

Makes you wonder why the PO can't use the database for insurance like the online DVLA tax service. It would be easy enough to do and save a lot of hassle.

Re: Car insurance ‘on trust’

Makes you wonder why the PO can't use the database for insurance like the online DVLA tax service. It would be easy enough to do and save a lot of hassle.

more money for RM.given they are closing down the PO counters nad moving a lot out of crown PO's it could be a while before the invest in anything new.
PO counters doenst even use the same scanner system as RM

i know a guy who knows a guy who used to modify your expired certificate using a scanner and printer, he edited the date by copy&pasting numbers from elsewhere on the cert so the newly printed one was valid. that service cost £10, the fake cert even worked at the post office for getting tax and was fine for satisfying a producer at the roadside when cops stopped you. those were the days.

Back