General Car identification & Traffic Announcement

Currently reading:
General Car identification & Traffic Announcement

ramzisleiman

Hello friends,
I jut bought this 2009 Fiat 500, and been having a hard time figuring out some stuff:
1) identifying which precise model it is
2) Turning OFF Traffic Announcement Mode.
The Vin number is:

ZFA31200000383258

Some research about the VIN says its a fiat 500 lounge, another says its: 500 PUR-O2.
I want to know the precise model so i can know the OEM equipment and how to use them like the radio system attached, most online manuals i find are either without a screen or with the newer version and this system which seems to be Blue&ME since car is 2009, and there is a small catalogue for Blue&Me in the car .

Also, and most importantly I dont seem to be able to switch off the traffic announcements, many say n the menu, but the only menu i have is in the dashboard, and nothing related to the radio over there.
Anyone with a similar model or with experience in these Radio systems?
Thank you
IMG_2678.jpeg

Hi & welcome
That is an after market head unit and not a factory fitted fiat stereo so the blue & me will not work at all!
Do you have steering wheel controls? And a usb socket down in the centre console?
If so you definitely have a 2009 lounge model

Also : as this stereo was already fitted when you bought the car we don’t know if the blue & me module is working?
It’s possible the previous owner fitted this after market unit because the module packed up!
Just one of the common 500 issues!

Of course it is possible it works fine but to find out it’s a lot of work to re install the original equipment but then if you did and the module is dead!!??!!
As for the stereo you have it looks to me like a Chinese import I’m guessing you didn’t get the instructions?
If it were me I’d be looking at finding a better brand double din touchscreen that you can actually use rather than struggling to work out this one
I fitted my own pioneer touch screen system I’ll post a pic
My car was also blue & me but I found the system to be basic!

Attachments

• EF5AABFA-129F-455C-AC53-B6759196CE0E.jpeg
    EF5AABFA-129F-455C-AC53-B6759196CE0E.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 19
Thank you for pointing that out. Now it makes sense. Do you not recommend the original unit? Can i have a reference for the OEM unit, was it also a screen or just a radio? And in looking for aftermarket, how do i know which ones integrate with the car, in terms of keep seeing the info on the dashboard.
On a different note, how do i check of Blue&Me is still working?

Your car is a 2009 correct? So it will be the standard radio & so no screen are you Uk or US based?
If you want to go the blue & me route then you need to peel back the rear quarter panel passenger side check that the unit is plugged in
Find the correct original radio with code on eBay and the original vents that sit on the top of the radio and swap it over
As there is a double din already there will have been some cutting of the plastic vents behind
You would also need the original cage for the radio
Once it’s all back together you may need to do a proxy alignment to get the body computer to see the original unit
@typecastboy is our resident expert on blue & me units
As I’ve said if it were me I’d get a good quality head unit and swap it over
Do your steering wheel buttons work with your aftermarket radio?
If not you would need a connects2 adapter to get the buttons to communicate with the unit

It took me a lot of research to get mine changed over but it’s a lot easier that trying to re install the original equipment that may not work anyway

As for an aftermarket head unit I just searched eBay for fiat 500 double din and I bought a kit that came with everything I needed including the adapter new harness and facia surround.. like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Of course there are many different options you just need to search
If you want the blue & me you need a head unit like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-500...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you for the detailed reply.
Yes the steering buttons do work, and that is one of my concerns if i switch to a new unit, what should i be looking for in the unit's specs to make sure the buttons remain to work. Also it's weird that when i start the unit, you see the flag logo first while it loads, i didnt expect that from an aftermarket unit, that's what made me think its oem in the first place.
OF course if its such a hassle to get back to the original, i will just buy a new double din screen unit instead of the one i have. But meanwhile i still need to figure out how to turn off the Traffic Announcement haha.
I did some research and it seems the unit i have is:

Model:JB-F500B, but as you'd expect from many chinese brand, the manual doesn't mention everything, and in this case, it doesn;t mention the traffic announcement.

on a different note, do newer versions head unit or aftermarket units that hit 20012/20013 or on models fit on my 2009 dashboard without more modifications?

Also, i think my model is not the pop, if the pop is the basic one, as i do have electric windows, Hill assistance, steering wheel manual adjustment, and panoramic roof. Isn't this the lounge version?

Yeah you have a lounge model! I have the 500 by Gucci 😝 but take away the fancy leather and it’s just the lounge!
I had a pop previous and it had nothing extra! Basic!!!
It’s up to you what type of brand you go for it depends on what you want out of it!?
If you buy a connects2 steering wheel interface
That will talk to your car and the new head unit it’s pretty easy to install too
If you buy a new head unit you will need to look for a wiring harness to fit the car that’s why I bought a kit off eBay specifically for the 500

Yes basically anything pre late 2015 will still fit in the dash anything after 2016 onwards will not! Those are facelift and as that suggests things were changed a bit

That's great to know. What models were the Gucci? Is there a 2009 Gucci. I have several Gucci sign on the back, but i think the previous owner just stick it there.

It was a limited run from 2011 up to 2013 I believe and only available as a special order it’s basically the lounge spec and down to who ordered!
I was lucky and bought one that had some extras!
You would know if you had a Gucci it’s got leather guccissima seats and the red & green striped seatbelts

Back