Technical car had died on me

Currently reading:
Technical car had died on me

suzukirider_2006

driveing along and car ran out off fuel, brought fuel loaded it into car, now car won't start, red injector light has no come on and car won't turn over.
The car kept stalling on me previously to it running out off fuel, was that a warning for something.
Would appreciate any help as im lost without the car as need it for work and school runs.

hello the car is a p reg early 1997. 1.1 engine, ive just changed the spark plugs and still no go. fuel pump is working when turn ignition on, turn key and car starts to fire but just keeps turning and turning. battery now on charge.

thanks for replies so far.

Sounds like fuel isnt reaching the inlet, maybe like littlepip said could be the fuel pump??

when was the fuel filter last changed?, if it was spluttering before failure maybe not enough fuel getting to engine, its located just in front of drivers side rear wheel , small metal cylinder, should be inside a plastic cover, be careful when checking ,,the pipe from the filter to fuel pump fits onto a small pipe at the pump which seems to break easily

hello the filter was replaced about 2 weeks ago when the car had a service, will replace 2morro with a new 1 and see what happens. Car was running ok before the fuel ran out, injector light is on, so could it be anything to do with injection system? and how do i check.?

Mine just did this.

I thought it was a fuel pump problem too..

Turned out that the ignition coil had gone on the 4th cylender. It had somehow tripped some of the electrics in the electric box aswel. Pulled that out, put it back in, bought a new coil, job's a gooden

make sure there's a spark comming from all plugs.

Re: car has died on me

hello how much did the coild pack cost you?.
Im also gonna change the battery, so will buy that first and see if it goes, if no joy will have to buy a coil pack

check there is a spark on one and two before you go and buy one there about 60 quid but I doubt this is it as the car will run on two cylinders

hell I made my car run on one cylinder once

my car ran out of fuel and because of the misfiring and incorect fuel mixture my light came on but went out again the next time it ran properly so I would assume your light is staying lit for this reason

are you absolutely sure you ran out of fuel and it was not just another fault

mine did 40 miles with the fuel light on and the gauge at bottom

have you pressed the fuel cut off switch by the passengers seat yet

is your fuel pump definitely running can you hear it under the back seats

also what keys are you using blue or red and is the code light going out as it should after 0.7 seconds

the injection light normally goes out after some seconds

Last edited:
Hello m8,
yes i can hear the fuel pump running and there is fuel getting into the carb,
gonna replace the battery 2morro as other is now knackered.
If it still does'nt kick in then will change the coil pack.
Change spark plugs and ht leads 2day, car now feels like she wants to kick in but think i have now knackered the battery, so gonna replace, also by changeing the leads and plugs injector light is now going out as it should do,
answer to question about keys, code light goes out after a few seconds and only have a blue key.

well as I said don't bother replacing expensive coils untill you have checked for a spark

just put the old plugs in the leads and lay them on the metal of the rocker cover and watch for a spark

honestly at the moment it sounds more like a fuelling issue

there are 2 coils one for 1 and 4 and one for 2 and 3 they don't both fail at the same time and the car will run on 2 cylinders or even 1

if you don't get a spark on any of plugs you should look in the direction of the crank sensor they are a common faut

if you do you will need to look for fuel problems

if you put your finger on top of the injector you should feel it clicking when cranked

also if you look into the throttle body you should see fuel coming out of it you should also smell it

could u pls tell me the fireing order is it 1-4-3-2 or 1-4-2-3???

fuel is getting to the carb ok, just replaced battery, now gonna check spark from each plug as just got a tester kit. will let ya know results.

it's one free four two

but this is not important as the cars have a wasted spark system as in 1 and 4 fire together and 3 and 2 fire together

all that matters is that coil 1 an 2 are firing

firingorder.jpg

here is the order for the plug leads and what they are to help you check both coils

why did you buy a tester kit anyway what exactly did you buy atiming light or just one of them flasher things

all you really needed is a old plug

Last edited:
hello brought yellow things on top, bk 2 are not fireing, think i will replace whole coil pack as ive replaced most off the parts already.

Many thanks for all your help, have ordered coil pack just waiting on delivery, will keep you all posted.

ok have fitted coil pack.

but car still does not go, when trying to turn car over she is fireing but when i put foot on pedal engine tightens up and she spits out puffs off smoke from carb.
This car is becomeing a nightmare now and don't wanna be takeing it to scrap yard as its cost me a fortune.
Any help from here would be really appreciated.

hello finally got car started but engine rocks all over the place and is popping, friend told me it sounds like a valve gone, can anyone help me with finding out if this is the case.??

look at my picture above and check plug lead order sounds like you have them mixed up

also check cambelt timing

these engines are solid and don't give any trouble so dropped valve is very unlikely

also just check you have a spark on that new coil of yours

i was going to say swap them to confirm fault but you went and bought one

a coil driver may have burnt out in ecu so make sure you now have spark on 1 and 2 now

also please stop calling it a carb it's a throttle body

Last edited:
Back