Technical Car goes into neutral when driving

Currently reading:
Technical Car goes into neutral when driving

BAPMAN

HI all..having a wee bit of troulble with me panda auto 1.2...
smile.gif

when driving in any gear it automatically changes into neutral.have to pull over and stop car then turn ignition a few times then car is fine and we drive again..please help...many thx

Hi, and welcome to FF,:)

your car uses hydraulics , driven by an ECU to do all the gearbox + clutch stuff,

you should be able to get a fault code to help identify where the problem lies, ;)

however - as with with any ECU, :idea:
removing the car's battery power ( remove BLACK EARTH / Ground lead overnight..)may just help get things relaigned back to factory presets,

cheap and easy.. let us know how it goes,

does it have any other warning lights..:confused: a poor / failing battery can act up with these things..,

Charlie - Oxford

Last edited:
thx Charlie.will try the battery thing and let you no..i have it booked into fiat foa a diagnostic this wensday.I have no warning lights on dash at all just pops straight into neutral.

3 hours..!!,
look for a FIAT or Alfa indy in your area,
the tech is the same for their g-boxes,

they basically plug it in to a lap top and drive all the actuators, and recalibrate ,

won't be dirt cheap .. but at least they'll not be fleecing you ,
charlie

didn't do much just said bring it back for 3 hours....also got a p1818 code something about safety connection to battery?

car battrey?

if my battery is not charged enough...ie not many milage per day as I work locally....could it affect my auto trans so it puts it out of gear and into neutral?

Re: car battrey?

A battery which is not fully charged or holding charge can throw up a ream of problems including steering faults, etc. It could well affect the automatic gearbox throwing up faults but tbh I don't have any experience of the automatic transmission so I wouldn't be able to comment on it in particular.

As Wee Smurf said, batteries which are on the way out can cause all sorts of weirdness with pretty much anything electronic on the car.

If I was you, I'd get a new battery (check it is the battery, not the alternator which is faulty) and your problem could well clear itself up with nothing more than that :).

Re: car battrey?

A battery which is not fully charged or holding charge can throw up a ream of problems including steering faults, etc. It could well affect the automatic gearbox throwing up faults but tbh I don't have any experience of the automatic transmission so I wouldn't be able to comment on it in particular.

:yeahthat:

A Bosch S4 or S5 battery would possibly sort you out, don't get a cheap and cheerful one if you do replace it (y)

Back