Car Dilemma

Currently reading:
Car Dilemma

pete_h

My weekly mileage is currently around 150miles but my job location is due to change in the new year, meaning an extra 35 miles a day (175 a week). New TOTAL weekly mileage = 325.

Now based on running the HGT see's a return of roughly 27-32 MPG based on my mixed driving, it is obviously going to cause my fuel costs to rocket!!

I see my obvious option to buy a more economical diesal car for similar value (£1.2-1.4k) but the option available across all manufacturers is pretty poor, fiesta's etc a plenty which I don’t want! -OPTION 1

Part of me wants to buy a little Sei to runaround in for little cost and a bit of fun but I don’t know if I could handle a little 1.1 after a 2.0 20v (my GF has one so I know how they drive etc)- OPTION 2

Finally I could just keep the HGT and absorb the cost just for the simple reason that I couldn’t live without it ;-) -OPTION 3

Opinions?
:)

OPTION 3 - Open your little wallet, get out a little cash to cover the little extra fuel you've used by covering a little more mileage. Only a little advice but I've only a little amount of time right now.

definately option 3.

i'm getting up to 27mpg, often less, i spend £50 a week just getting to work, but i smile when i come out of work and see my car in the car park. you cant put a price on that smile.

How about this for another option;

Convert the HGT to run on LPG, fuel drops to around 40p per litre (maybe less!!). The conversion would cost around £1200 (I looked at this a couple of years ago so prices could be lower), it would probably take a couple of years to pay for itself depending on your average annual mileage.

Its worth thinking about I think.

How about this for another option;

Convert the HGT to run on LPG, fuel drops to around 40p per litre (maybe less!!). The conversion would cost around £1200 (I looked at this a couple of years ago so prices could be lower), it would probably take a couple of years to pay for itself depending on your average annual mileage.

Its worth thinking about I think.

if i was going lpg i would try and find a ready converted car.
saw a 5 series t'other day for £500(okay a cheap banger) but it was in good nick,years ticket,some tax and cheap fuel

A conversion is only really a good idea if you intend to hang on to the car for at least a couple more years. Buying a second hand converted car is risky because you don't know who did the conversion, could be expensive if its a botched job.

I sold my Stilo for similar reasons a £100 a week habit was a bit much, swapped to a 1.9 JTD and now get 50mpg, although I will be using the train to get to work so looking to get something a bit more powerful :D

If you want economy get a diesel otherwise stick with what you have.

Last edited:
How much you looking at spending again :confused: £1500-£2500 will get you into a reasonabley newish diesel engined car. They wont be like rocketships, but will be more then upto the job. Heres a few i found on the lovely e-bay.

1) 03 reg Ford Fiesta LX 1.4TDCI, 122k miles

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-03-FORD-...oryZ9844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2) X reg Punto JTD, 75k miles

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-FIAT-PUN...oryZ9843QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3) 02 reg Mondeo 2.0 TDCI LX, 126k miles

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-FORD-MON...oryZ9844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Have you not moved to a job where you get more money :confused:

What about car sharing if there is anyone else who goes your way :confused:

See if work can give you a little bit of money for travelling so far :D

Back