Technical Car died

Currently reading:
Technical Car died

walloon

Hello All, My 71 500F has run flawlessly since I purchased it about a month ago. I got back last night from a 20 minute trip and was backing it into the garage when it suddenly died. It did not sputter, or hesitate. It just stopped. I pulled the starter switch and nothing. I just tried it again after sitting overnight and it's still the same. Pull the starter and nothing. The battery says a little less than 12 volts. I just put a charger on it. It has previously started immediately every time. The only change I have made to the car are new LED light bulbs which were on at the time. I checked the fuses which are alright. Put gas in it yesterday. Any thoughts are welcome.

Hello All, My 71 500F has run flawlessly since I purchased it about a month ago. I got back last night from a 20 minute trip and was backing it into the garage when it suddenly died. It did not sputter, or hesitate. It just stopped. I pulled the starter switch and nothing. I just tried it again after sitting overnight and it's still the same. Pull the starter and nothing. The battery says a little less than 12 volts. I just put a charger on it. It has previously started immediately every time. The only change I have made to the car are new LED light bulbs which were on at the time. I checked the fuses which are alright. Put gas in it yesterday. Any thoughts are welcome.
Difficult to diagnose from a distance, but as you are saying that the battery is showing less than 12 volts, that could be the cause. How old is the battery? have you tried to start the car with a 'slave' battery?

Difficult to diagnose from a distance, but as you are saying that the battery is showing less than 12 volts, that could be the cause. How old is the battery? have you tried to start the car with a 'slave' battery?
Thanks for your input. I haven't had much time to look at it due to work. The charger is still on it. It just seems strange that it would suddenly die when it had been running for 20 minutes and always started fine but I know, ideally it should read more than 12 volts. I have no idea how old the battery is. No identifying info.

Thanks for your input. I haven't had much time to look at it due to work. The charger is still on it. It just seems strange that it would suddenly die when it had been running for 20 minutes and always started fine but I know, ideally it should read more than 12 volts. I have no idea how old the battery is. No identifying info.
Update: Checked the battery after being on charger a few hours and it read 12.97 Volts. Started right up. So a bad battery. Never knew a car engine could stop like that after being driven due to a voltage drop. I also know now that if the Volts are under 12 there's a potential problem. Thanks for your help.

Update: Checked the battery after being on charger a few hours and it read 12.97 Volts. Started right up. So a bad battery. Never knew a car engine could stop like that after being driven due to a voltage drop. I also know now that if the Volts are under 12 there's a potential problem. Thanks for your help.
A not unknown occurance---how do I know? It happened to me and my friend (his car--500D) in the middle of the Italian countryside at about 9.00PM. Luckily we were in a small convoy of cars, so assistance was to hand and as it was in the middle of the summer, it was WARM!

Back