Can't start...

Currently reading:
Can't start...

D

Dennis

Hey,

Need some help. I've got a 1.6 Brava '96, which just suddenly won't start. It's been running perfectly until today.
When i turn the key I can hear the fuelpump running for a few seconds and the starter is turning fine, but the engine won't start.

I tried with a different battery and that didn't do anything (just to rule that out). The car just had a major service job done a few months ago - so sparkplugs, cambelt and everything is new.

Any ideas for what i should try out?

I think it might be the fuelfilter or pump (i don't think they changed the filter, but i just can't image that a filter would do that unless it's totally clocked).

Yep - tried that too. Should the button be pressed when the car is turned on or? Tried both though.

Also - the injection system light does switch off after a few seconds, so the ecu isn't registering anything wrong.

The starter turns and it almost sounds like the engine is going to fire.

Crap.. ;-/

I just searched through the forum and i found a post about a guy who couldn't start his car either. The day before he had moved it a few meters and turned it off right after - which left the engine flooded. I did the same thing yesterday - move the car a little and turned it off. Could it be that the engine is flooded? And how do i fix that in an easy way? ;)

Thanks,

Dennis

Ok, going to try that tomorrow - it's too late now ;-(

I've more or less got i down to the following posibilities:

1. Flooding of the engine.

2. Fuelfilter bad. (why did they put it under the car - makes it hell to change).

3. Fuelpump bad (don't think so - can hear it building pressure for a few seconds when i turn the key).

4. ECU/imm. problem (will try giving it 30 mins off the battery before starting it tomorrow - i read someone had a problem with the immobiliser doing strange things - will also try with the red key). I just fitted new dials, so i had the battery on and off several times - might have confused the ecu a bit.. ;-/ (btw, the new dials looks really nice - will post a pic soon ;) )

5. According to the Haynes it could be cylinder compressions - i hope this isn't the case, as i probably can't fix this myself.

Any other ideas?

Unlikely to be the filter, it would run and die if it was.

The code light would stay on if it was the immobiliser.

The 1.6 ECU does this occasionally, it doesn't realise its been a long time since it last started and floods. The 2004 1.4 polo suffers the same thing.

Just to finish this...

I seems that it was the engine being flooded. Took about 1 minute and an extra battery and it finally fired up.

Runs great again...

Thanks for the help everybody!