Technical Cannot undo alternator nut or bottom pulley bots

Currently reading:
Technical Cannot undo alternator nut or bottom pulley bots

alanpilky

Hi all - it's my first post with my over heating fiat.....

Trying to change the water pump on my 2000 Seicento 1.1 sporting. I think it is an SPI.
I have a new cam belt, tensioner bearing, alternator belt (and water pump!!!) so that it is done properly.
I am having difficulty undoing the alternator nut as there is not enough room I can move the nut a few millimeters, but then I hit the engine mount bracket. Is there a special tool I could use? cannot get a socket in there, or a ring spanner, only a open ended spanner, but still not enough room
:bang::bang::bang:
Also, when trying to undo the three bots on the bottom pulley, it just turns round so I cannot undo the bots. Is there any trick to stop it turning?

Any useful tips?

Hi
When I did mine, I seem to remeber using a bar through one of the shaped holes of the bottom pulley as a wedge against part of the engine to stop the pulley turning....

As regards the alternator bolts, I managed to get the bolts sorted just by using an open ended.
Very fiddly but do-able...
I think some folk take off the engine mount to give more room but I soldiered on and got it done..

Hope you sort it..

Phil

Ok, that makes sense for the bottom pulley. I might get someone to hold the bar in place so I don't lose too much skin off my fingers!
Do you remember if you undid the alternator bolt from the top or the bottom? I have removed the header tank to give more access already.

I think it's a bit tight for a ratchet ring. I don't think you'll get the ratchet to click over.

Alternator belt is done from the bottom. Slacken the bottom bolt, then put an open ended spanner on the top bolt. You have to flip the spanner and use the angle on the open end.

With regards the bottom pulley, if you can use a air tools it's easier, if not. Use a 1/2" power bar, and give it a strong hit with a rubber mallet. Try and shock it off.

When I put mine together I put everything back with stainless bolts, with loads of copper grease and lock washers to hold it together. Never had a problem since.

hi, i just retightened the alt belt this morning. All I needed was a open end spanner. i put the car on it´s jack and lift it so the wheel was at about 10 cm of the ground. didn´t remove wheel, didn´t remove anything. i had enough cleareance from under the car to have been able to undo the bolts. safety tip, do use two jacks or any type of extra support when working under the car. Good luck.

Back