Can use a fiat 500 radio in my kitcar

Currently reading:
Can use a fiat 500 radio in my kitcar

NeilA

Hi all can anyone here help me please?

I am almost finished the rebuild of a Spartan kitcar and have just bought a secondhand Fiat 500 radio/cd as the style suit.
The unit shows code error, I have no way of entering the code as the car is pre computer technology.
Does anybody know of a way I could get the radio working, please, as I am about tearing what is left of my hair out?
Thanks in advance
Neil

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220528_182949.jpg
    20220528_182949.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
If you know the chassis number of the car it came from, you should be able to get the code online.

Usually these are coded to the car so unless they’re replaced then you should never need the code.

I don't think this would work. The stereo communicates with the BCM which asks for the code and if it goes into another vehicle it won't work until the code is entered, but if you installed it into your kit car, it doesn't have a Fiat BCM so I don't think it will work. There are better ways, such as buying an aftermarket unit on Aliexpress. They have some very similar ones, athough these all have screens which you may not want.

The wiring is very simple...acc to pin 7 and earth to pin 8 and power lighting to pin 6.
I also have access to a 2010 fiat doblo so could plug radio there if it would not unset the original radio there.
Could I then disable the code requirement there?

My limited experience is that a swapped unit will indeed ask for a code.. but only a few times.. then its 'adopted : accepted'

In simple terms the BCM is probably only 'throwing a switch' to enable code free operation.. you just need to know what that entails for the wiring

IDEA:

Could you backprobe the DIN plug to see what becomes active.. ?

My limited experience is that a swapped unit will indeed ask for a code.. but only a few times.. then its 'adopted : accepted'

In simple terms the BCM is probably only 'throwing a switch' to enable code free operation.. you just need to know what that entails for the wiring

IDEA:

Could you backprobe the DIN plug to see what becomes active.. ?
Sorry, I wouldn't know how to do that.

Back