Tuning Can It Be Done and has it

Currently reading:
Tuning Can It Be Done and has it

itwontwork

Right i recently bought 2 cinq's both are 1.1 sporting bearing the arbarth badges of a m8 of mine one is happily on the road the other is needing a ecu and some tlc, but i want to rip out it's guts and fit the engine i have spare which is a Honda V-tec B16 from an EK9 so about 189hp i want to know if anybody has fitted such an engine, if there any tech guys who know for sure if it can be fitted or not and any general help would be appreciated, i know this will be a time consuming operation and also money consuming but i'd like to give it a go..

To start off how good are you with welding, as it may be better off fitted into the rear.

If you want it in the front then everything will need to be fabricated and horseshoe'd in.

You need to take measurements first of everything, cov69 may still have the measures from his redtop swap. Drop him a PM if you want or I can drop him a text and find out for you.

http://img132.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=05082009123u.jpg

Think these are some of the scribbled notes that hes scanned.

Thanks

I would say it should fit in the front seeing as Cov69 managed to get a 2L redtop in there. In terms of putting it in the front its a lot less work than putting it in the back as then you don't have to get a front fuel tank (the fiat one doesnt fit), rebuild the whole back of the car, make sure your suspension is lined up right etc etc.

The key is getting it to not be nose heavy. I don't know how the B16 sits in the honda normally. Check how far the engine goes in front of the driveshafts on each engine and gearbox combo. If they're not too dissimilar then I'd say anything else is doable. If it sits out front too much it'll end up being fast in a straight line and thats it.

Read through all the posts on the redtop conversion to see what it all involves, unless you have the time and skill or are prepared to make time and learn the skills you'll only end up with another ebay '90% complete project'.

I am sure this will be a long road but i have seen it done in mini's and really liked the outcome, so i want to try it, there is a small group of us going to be involved in the build so time is not a problem and money is as always on a budget but i am sure with our multitude of skills we should be able to fabricate most of what needs done for little(hopefully)

Not been on this forum long but you guys seem to mod the s**t out of your sei/cins..

Sorry just wanted to let that be known.

it may have to be something to do with the fact that you have to be insane to drive these cars hard and that tends to mean you want and need lots of power and sorry but 54bhp is no where near enough lol

Fiat would never have put a 1242 in a cento, it wouldve been pitched directly against the punto and the cento is lighter, so we know what people wouldve gone out and bought

They did it early on with the punto putting a 1108 but then dropped the 1108 punto, mainly because of the emissions but surely sales were impacted as well being sold alongside the cento

Last edited:
16v sei would give any punto a hard time (y).

My 1.2 8v engine was very quick for what it was, it still impresses me how much power fiat seemed to have sucked out of a 1.2 engine in all honesty. Even a 1.6 VTS N/A is only 110-120bhp. Fiat say 85bhp from a 1.2 16v.

Thanks

V-tec all the way.....

The shaft will be short, but will only mean if its angled like my redtop one was, you will need to replace the outer cv more often, as i assume you would leave the standard hubs on the sei.....

I know someone on here mentioned a rear engine to be more work than the front, but from experience i would say it was a lot easier in retrospect.

Ive seen a rear wheel drive mini v-tech at trax, looked insane.

The only issue would be a fuel tank, but you could get a stainless one made up, or ready built from FIA approved sellers.

The driving issue would be a possible problem, so much power at the rear of such a small wheelbase.... would make roundabouts a bit hairy....

Back