Technical Can I change the outer CV boot without removing driveshaft?

Currently reading:
Technical Can I change the outer CV boot without removing driveshaft?

firecolour

Spanners at the ready
Did an oil change and pre MOT check on firecolour yesterday and discovered the outer nearside CV boot has split exposing the CV joint. Can this be changed without removing the whole driveshaft, ie can this be done easily by just removing the CV joint with the rest of the shaft still in place at the gearbox?

I've found some helpful posts and guides here but they describe removal of the whole shaft as does the Haynes manual.

Oh, does anyone have a link to the correct clip tool to use? I end up cutting myself trying to use all sorts of pliers and plumbing wrenches to do these!

Yes it's possible but to be honest unless you've done it before it's probably easier to take the driveshaft off so you can see what you're doing. First you have to find the circlip which is buried under a ton of grease & gunk and hidden away in a tiny groove, then get a pair of standard circlip pliers( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-PIECE-C...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item231cc873bc) onto it and hold it open while you slide the CV joint off. The circlip has no holes in the ends so a real pain to hold with the pliers. Just easier if you can get it on a bench & see it properly. Once you've disassembled far enough to get the joint off it's only another 3 or 4 bolts to remove the inner boot flange anyway. Just catch the gearbox oil on the way off (and preferably take the chance to replace it)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for your advice. It is replies to posts like this that really show the benefit of a properly run forum (I'm already a donated member because of your help!)

Two more questions. Should I change the bearing/seal at the gearbox end at the same time (car done 24k), or will it be reusable?

Best supplier for the inner boots? My local factor had the outers but not inners. Ricambo £15 each for outer kit, local place £5 each.

The bearing should be good for a very long time. Have you tried fiat for the boots??...I find the rubber on cheaper ones quite thin. Ricambo may be your best bet if he has quality items. I take it you know about the gearbox oil question?

Thanks for donating....it makes a big differance...(y)

Fiat Guildford said they don't stock any parts for the car (in a condescending style "can't you afford a newer car" type voice).

Fully aware of gearbox oil issue with a spare 5 litre can of GL3 ready ;)

I'd rather spend extra on OEM if I can find them.

Fiat Guildford said they don't stock any parts for the car (in a condescending style "can't you afford a newer car" type voice).

Fully aware of gearbox oil issue with a spare 5 litre can of GL3 ready ;)

I'd rather spend extra on OEM if I can find them.

That can be the case..... Fiat in Crawley could not do enough for me, very helpful and only a few items they could not get. They rarely stock items, but send to Italy for them. Yes...usually a week- two week wait.

Fiat in Crawley could not do enough for me

Can I second that. I just spoke to Owen who was extremely helpful. They don't have the parts on the shelf but Fiat UK do and they're getting them in for me tomorrow.

I asked him about the current recommendation for gearbox oil and he says it's showing as ZC75/80 from Fiat at £9 a litre. Couldn't say whether it was GL3 or not.

A very helpful bunch - Owen at Fiat Crawley Parts Dept - Tel 01293 848302 (y)

Last edited:
I changed my CV boot without removing the shaft using one of the stretchy boots I got from a motor factors and a cone, it can be a bit of a wrestle but with plenty of fairy liquid for lube on the cone it does go on despite what you might initially think!

Hearing everyone's gripes on the poor stainless clips that come with the boots used a jubilee clip as that has been effective on my Clio however the Panda's don't have the same clearance so I ended up using the metal clip that came with the boot and I have to say it still on 6 month later and no leaks, granted I don't drive it too often!

Michael

Back