Can i be done for Dangerous Driving

Currently reading:
Can i be done for Dangerous Driving

Hi i had an accident back in June of last year and the passenger of my car has sent me a letter outlining that he is suing me.
At the time of the accident i was breathalised and was under the legal limit and the Police did'nt persue me for any kind of dangerous driving.
My question is if i contest this t**t then is there any possibility that anybody can Rule that i was Driving dangerously and get indorsemets put on my Liscence after all this time.
Also what insurance company do i need to give his solicitors deatails of My current Insurer or the company that i was with at the time of the Accident.
I hope my dyslexic ramblings make enough sense.
Thanks in advance

Volxstu

Suing you for what?, was he actually injured? mental anguish?, needs some free money? I don't see why or how a dangerous driving charge could be applied retrospectively the police have investigated and found you innocent so unless he is going to produce new evidence...there should be no issue

He was a passenger in my car and i was driving in the dark on a country road that i dont know to well and took a wrong turn and hit a corner a bit too fast and where the road had been badly resurfaced i hit a drain that was sunk in the groung a good few inches and this instantly flipped the car out and into a field rolling a few times.
He must have evidence suggesting that he had whiplash even though we were taken into hospital and both given the all clear directly after the Accident.
He is saying that he had whiplash which caused loss of earnings so he is doing this solely because he sees that it is easy free money.
I dont believe that he can prove that i was driving dangerously but i hav'nt seen the evidence that His solicitor has, but is is very unlikely that they have anything new.

If you were checked all clear for injuries, then what evidence is there of whiplash could there be? Does he have doctors notes, or proof of taking time off to support his lost earnings claim? Tbf you won't find this out until court, but if he was given an all clear you have case to say he's trying it on.

He was a passenger in my car and i was driving in the dark on a country road that i dont know to well and took a wrong turn and hit a corner a bit too fast and where the road had been badly resurfaced i hit a drain that was sunk in the groung a good few inches and this instantly flipped the car out and into a field rolling a few times.
He must have evidence suggesting that he had whiplash even though we were taken into hospital and both given the all clear directly after the Accident.
He is saying that he had whiplash which caused loss of earnings so he is doing this solely because he sees that it is easy free money.
I dont believe that he can prove that i was driving dangerously but i hav'nt seen the evidence that His solicitor has, but is is very unlikely that they have anything new.

If you were both given the all clear then you I can't see what he has against you. Unless he has been again for another examination, but I'm not sure how soon after the accident he must return to hospital. Did he go back to work? was he a friend?

I can't see you getting in trouble for dangerous driving. Its just a crash that was your fault, thats all he is basing his claims on and this is a civil case not a criminal case.

I got sued for smashing a lorry drivers knees in when I hit him head on because of his impact, Even though he had claimed to be stationary in his police statement. I didn't really care as it just comes out of the insurance claim and the police don't concern themselves with this (as far as my understanding)

Last edited:
tell them to make sure they use a 'no win no fee' company because they definately wont win this. actually they must be paying for a solicitor because the 'no win no fee' people arent daft enough to take cases like this.

Just give him the details he wants and stop worrying, you are not going to be charged with anything by the Police and you wont lose any money from your own pocket. Let your insurance co handle it all, the one you were with at the time of the accident. If you were properly covered at the time of the accident they will meet any claims for 3rd party damages and compensation against you including personal injuries......... perhaps you dont realise it but......its what you paid them to do in the first place!

The time limit for compensation claims for personal injury is 3 years from the date you first became aware of the injury.

You can't be done for 'dangerous driving' or have your licence endorsed if your 'mate' is taking out a private prosecution for an injury claim. This will also be dealt with via a county court (civil) rather than magistrates (criminal). Only magistrates courts deal with road traffic prosecutions.

Your 'mate' can however attempt to claim damages off you by claiming that he suffered any sort of physical/ psychological injury and/ or loss of earnings as a result of your alleged 'dangerous' driving. This would need to be proved though, which by the sounds of it will be hard to do.

Without seeing what evidence he is going to present to the court it is hard to to say if he has a case or not. Also, unless there were witnesses involved it will be harder still as it will be his word against yours.

Last edited:
ang on if this person was in ur car then im guessing they wer a mate????

What kind of a mate does this?

Not really a mate but a friend of a friend who i was courtious to as we have to see each other and he definatly isnt a mate any more but not the sort of person that i want to get into a personal battle with so i am trying to keep things civil with him as it will most likely be me that comes off worse if it does turn ugly.

dont speak to him avoid him, you never know if he's recording your conversations (y)

Well i hav'nt ever actually ever said anything other than the truth of what happened to anybody so if i am Liable then thats fair enough i just dont think that i am and that is why i am fighting it.
He does Allegedly have papers signing him off of work but he was seen by my other friends at that time in perfect health but what are the chances of anybody getting in the Middle of us two and writing a statement about that.

Blame the council they should have outlined the opened man hole better

don't worry

always could blame him for the accident and did not want to say anything at the time :)
too traumatised

Back