General Can clutch footrest be removed?

Currently reading:
General Can clutch footrest be removed?

blotch

Hi,

A friend and I both had test drives in the GP today. Both of us liked the car except for the footrest. I am longlegged with big feet and the footrest left my knee jacked up in the air when not changing gear. My friend is small but still found the footrest somehow got in the way.

The dealer claims that they can't remove it, probably because Fiat won't allow tinkering with new cars. Can it be done easily enough by the buyer, anyone know, please?

blotch said:
Hi,

A friend and I both had test drives in the GP today. Both of us liked the car except for the footrest. I am longlegged with big feet and the footrest left my knee jacked up in the air when not changing gear. My friend is small but still found the footrest somehow got in the way.

The dealer claims that they can't remove it, probably because Fiat won't allow tinkering with new cars. Can it be done easily enough by the buyer, anyone know, please?
I am also tall - but do not have this problem - why don't you try and alter the driving position, the GP sporting Adjusts the seat up, down, fore and back and also does the same with the steering wheel. I think you just had the driving position set wrong - might be worth returning for another test drive. if your knee was pointing skywards this suggest the seat was set too low for you.

Hello Shauncorwyn,

No, it isn't the driving position. We played about with all possible combinations of seat height, front to back position, and steering column adjustment, and we still couldn't get comfortable. I remember one of the reviews I read of the GP mentioned an awkward footrest and that's just what we found. Great pity, really.

Best wishes,

Blotch

I have had a look and the footrest is moulded to centre console so the dealer is correct it would mean cutting the section off to remove. It could be done if you really wanted to as it is only plastic. I am still suprised that you could not get comfortable though. I find the driving position excellent. It would be interesting to see what other owners think as one thinkg is for sure dont believe everything you read. A lot of journalist have made their minds up about some cars before they actually drive them.

Hello Shaunconwyn,

Thanks for looking. I appreciate your trouble.

The footrest factor, and other things, is mentioned in the What Car review, if you're interested. This is one review where they got it right.

Best wishes,

Blotch

Im 6" 3 and about 17stone and I find it one of the most comfortable Hatch's to drive. I didn't at first mind I really had to sit and play with the seat and steering wheel to get comfortable and even then it felt 'odd'. I mainly put that down to it being a new car and I'd just went from a german car (Skodarse Fabia vRS)

ChrisUK said:
Im 6" 3 and about 17stone and I find it one of the most comfortable Hatch's to drive. I didn't at first mind I really had to sit and play with the seat and steering wheel to get comfortable and even then it felt 'odd'. I mainly put that down to it being a new car and I'd just went from a german car (Skodarse Fabia vRS)

I agree, It took me a good few weeks to get comfortable in the car, especially my left leg but after a lot of playing around with the seat and steering wheel it is now so much better. (y)

The crazy thing is, there are loads of larger cars that I can't even sit in the drivers seat (Fords in particular - even Volvos:eek: )

Slave1 said:
The crazy thing is, there are loads of larger cars that I can't even sit in the drivers seat (Fords in particular - even Volvos:eek: )

Don't know about the newer Fords but I've driven some in the past (including a Puma which belonged to my cousin) and managed to squeeze in ok. I'm ok with most cars but convertibles are out as are TVR's and surprisingly the Alfa Brera.

Back