Technical Can anyone tell me what this is.....

Currently reading:
Technical Can anyone tell me what this is.....

Punto669

Hi,

I have a 3dr 2006 Grande Punto with an aftermarket radio (Sony MEX-4000BT) fitted.
I removed the radio and there is some sort of plastic enclosure with small black round cable out one end disappearing somewhere behind the dashboard. There are no markings or labels on the body - just hard black plastic in a small candy bar shape.
The other side has a bunch of wires going to: 1 x 8-pin ISO plug and 1 x 8-pin ISO socket.
If plugged into each other the colour coding of the wires is the same at each position.

Is it part of the car or an aftermarket add-on?

Pictures;

My radio is connected to two other ISO connectors which look like they used to be a large single connector cut in half;

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Aftermarket

Looks to be some sort of converter to allow the use of after market radios with different connectors
Thanks.
No markings or manufacturer on it - does that mean its cheap tat?

I guess I'll need to find out where that small round wire goes to behind the dashboard.... 😫😫

Looks like an aftermarket canbus adapter - does your punto have steering wheel controls?

The 2 ISO connectors (that used to be one block) are likely the original fiat gear, but looks like a bullet connector in there (blue but) which isn’t standard. Otherwise you should have an aerial connector which I can’t see for sure.

Looks like an aftermarket canbus adapter - does your punto have steering wheel controls?
Yes it has the basic controls - not blue&me (no windows button)

The 2 ISO connectors (that used to be one block) are likely the original fiat gear, but looks like a bullet connector in there (blue but) which isn’t standard. Otherwise you should have an aerial connector which I can’t see for sure.
Yes those 2 ISO connector cables to the radio come out of a branch of the vehicle wiring loom - so original wiring.
Except for 1 black wire which comes from somewhere else and is spliced into that bullet crimp connector thing;

It hasn't been wired correctly to an ignition 12v as radio works as soon as you put the face on.
So I need to trace that and find out if there is a reason or just shortcut done somewhere.
Whats the best source for an ignition switched line for the radio - cigarette lighter socket?

I guess the next step is to find out where the other cable out of the adapter goes to.

AH - there is what looks like a microphone poking out the top of the plastic on the drivers A-pillar.
Could this be part of a mobile handsfree system?

Back